Starkton
Victor IV

Featured Phonograph № 65

Post by Starkton »

Make: DEUTSCHE GRAMMOPHON AG
Model: GIBSON-AUTOMAT No. 1
Serial #2291
Year(s) Made: 1907-?
Original Cost: M150 (about $35 = monthly income of a skilled industrial worker in Germany)
Case/Cabinet Size: 18IN D, 9IN H, 18IN W
Funnel:25IN L, 18IN M
Turntable/Mandrel: 10IN
Reproducer/Sound-Box: GIBSONARM
Motor: 1 SPRING
Reproduction Parts: KEY
Current Value: $?
Interesting Facts: The "Gibson-Automat No. 1" was the only automatic model in the Deutsche Grammophon AG catalogues of 1907 and 1908. It combines "Grammophon" and "Zonophon" parts and is varnished in dark green. While the "Gibsonarm" looks similar to an "Exhibition" soundbox, it is 40% lighter.

Favorite Characteristics: It was found in Austria and came to me from the place where it rested for 50+ years in untinkered condition. The mechanism is complete and works, and only needed a clean and replacement of a weak spring which I took from the identical motor of another Deutsche Grammophon model. I have yet to see a second specimen of this model, let alone in complete state.

Work in progress! The funnel is still uncleaned. The woodwork, possibly ash tree or birch(!), needs attention (closing of wormholes, luckily no worms left, application of dark green varnish). Nickel plating of some parts is foreseen.

For some nice photos I haven’t greased the gears yet. The last photo shows the coin slot.

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Re: Featured Phonograph № 65

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Fascinating! The condition is amazing !

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Fascinating! The condition is amazing !

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

That is an interesting and beautiful machine. I would not touch the finish, it looks great as it is.

Thanks for sharing.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Very unusual and eye-catching! I really like the coin drawer. I agree with Brad - - I'd keep the finish as is on something this rare.

George P.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

I'm in on that too!!!.I would leave it just as it is.What a great mech.Well worth the wait to see.I'm surprized to see that reproducer.I have to think that is the correct one???.

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

gramophone78 wrote: I'm surprized to see that reproducer.I have to think that is the correct one???.
Yes, absolutely. This is the correct reproducer. The combination Gibson sound arm and "Gibsonarm" reproducer is known from Zonophones of the period. Since 1903, the European business of Zonophone was owned by the Gramophone Co. Hence, the open-handed exchange of parts.

Thank you for sharing your opinion concerning varnishing. I will keep this in mind and proceed very carefully to achieve a cohesive overall impression. If the results of preliminary tests are unsatisfactory I leave it as it is.

Below is an image from a trade paper. It displays the shop window of Deutsche Grammophon AG in July 1907 in Berlin, Ritterstraße showing the latest gramophone models. From left: Monarch I, Monarch III, De Luxe II and Gibson-Automat No. 1

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Great photo.What do you think the 200000 means in the window???.

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

gramophone78 wrote:Great photo.What do you think the 200000 means in the window???.
This is the number of machines manufactured, or better assembled, by Deutsche Grammophon from November/December 1898 - July 1907.

Whereby the early monopoly years until 1903 when the German branch controlled the Russian sub-company were by far more profitable. On an average, from 1905 - 1910, the German branch (Deutsche Grammophon AG, controlling sub-companies in Austria, Scandinavia, and distributing through South-Eastern Europe) sold about 1,3 million records, but only around 9000 machines each year.
Last edited by Starkton on Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

Very nice phonograph!