Screws for winding key plate--Victrola Florenza

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
jimw156
Victor Jr

Screws for winding key plate--Victrola Florenza

Post by jimw156 »

Greetings!

I'm in the process of attempting to put a Florenza that I inherited back together again (no small feat because these were apparently hard to come by). Amazingly, it works like a charm, but it's missing a lot of pieces (like the radio, etc).

Anyway, the plate that fits over the winding key (and mounts to the cabinet) has two screws--one which is missing and the other which appears very loose, almost like it's stripped.

I'm curious if anyone knows if these screws were standard issue for the time (ie: I can use screws from any 1926 model to replace mine) or if they were "exclusive" to the Florenza.

Thanks in advance!

startgroove
Victor III

Re: Screws for winding key plate--Victrola Florenza

Post by startgroove »

Though I am not familiar with your 9-1, I can tell you that it would be extremely unlikely that special screw threads were used on it. By the Twenties, all screw, bolt, pipe and other thread dimensions had been standardized. Those standards are still in place today. It makes more sense that you would be able to find parts from another model that will fit directly, or can be adapted to fit. Cheers, Russie

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

It's not at all unusual for a screw hole supporting a crank escutcheon to be stripped. It's also a trivial fix. You just get a toothpick and break off 1 or 2 pieces that are the same depth as the screw hole. Put them in the hole and your screw will go in as normal. Some people like to glue the toothpicks in the hole but I have never found that to be necessary.

Be sure to post before and after pics of your machine. We all like to see restoration efforts.

jimw156
Victor Jr

Post by jimw156 »

startgroove wrote:It makes more sense that you would be able to find parts from another model that will fit directly, or can be adapted to fit.
Russie,

Thank you for the comments. And I would tend to agree with you that regardless of my model's "rarity", it is a Victrola, so certain parts, especially trivial ones such as the ones I'm hunting for, would be pretty standard.

I've attached a pic of the plate as it stands today. As you can see, the one on the right is missing. It's the one on the left that I was hoping to match. I was going to unscrew the one on the left so I could check/compare threads, but I'm a newbie to all this, and was scared that just unscrewing that one bit would cause a chain reaction and things would start falling off all over the place!
Attachments
IMG_2680.JPG

jimw156
Victor Jr

Post by jimw156 »

Thank you for the tips! Interestingly enough, the remaining screw, the one I thought was loose, does appear to tighten down--feels like the plate stays loose simply because of the missing screw. But if/when I find a replacement for the missing screw and the hole is indeed stripped, love the idea of adding bits of toothpick to the hole, especially since that would be behind the plate and out of sight!

And I will most certainly post pics as I go along. I do have some "before" pics that I will dig out if people are interested in such things. For me, it's a labor of love since I inherited it from a relative who passed away. I always wanted a Victrola, so it seemed destiny that this one ended up in my house. I just wasn't aware that this particular model was somewhat scarce, making it hard to find parts.

I was amazed to find that it had been kept in great working order and even had all the original paperwork with it. The downside is that major parts of it are missing, including all of the components for the radio and (sigh), the legs. But my goal is to try and get it back as close to the way it was originally as possible. In other words, I'd like to eventually find that radio panel, but I don't need it to be working. As long as the record player works, I'm happy!

Thank you again for all your help!

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

On an additional note: The crank bezel does not look like it has a counter sunk hole in the exposed hole. Yet, the other screw looks like it is a counter sink screw. If it is, that may be the wrong screw. I think most Victrola's have round head screws. Best to check it out. Cheers, Russie

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Looking at the picture of the crank escutcheon, I think it may have been installed inside out. That protruding metal piece should be inside the wood of the case. And yes, these should be standard round head wood screws. If you are sure the remaining screw is correct I would post pictures and measurements here, maybe someone has one lying around.

Andreas

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

alang wrote:Looking at the picture of the crank escutcheon, I think it may have been installed inside out. That protruding metal piece should be inside the wood of the case. And yes, these should be standard round head wood screws. If you are sure the remaining screw is correct I would post pictures and measurements here, maybe someone has one lying around.

Andreas

That makes sense. The insert protects the drilled wood surface on the inside of the cabinet hole, not the air outside of the cabinet! Suggest owner turn crank escutcheon around and check the fit.

As for "matching the thread," that doesn't really matter, since this isn't a machine screw but a rather wood screw.

jimw156
Victor Jr

Post by jimw156 »

alang wrote:Looking at the picture of the crank escutcheon, I think it may have been installed inside out. That protruding metal piece should be inside the wood of the case.
The mystery deepens!

So if I'm tracking, in order to set things right, I need to flip the escutcheon around. I'm thinking to do that, I'll need to unscrew the one screw and then unscrew the crank in order to free up the escutcheon so I can flip it around. Sound about right?

BTW, as I'm doing that, I can get some pics and measurements off that one remaining black screw to maybe help figure out if its original or not!

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Alang is right! That escutcheon does look like it is installed backward! Good catch Andreas!