EMG Mk VII

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Orchorsol
Victor IV

EMG Mk VII

Post by Orchorsol »

In the same collection as the Expert Senior, which I recently posted about, was this vanishingly rare EMG Mk VII. The Mk VII was introduced in mid 1928 and was to a large extent the design of Balfour Davey, who joined E.M. Ginn on the suggestion of Percy Wilson. Ginn desperately needed to compete with the new orthophonic type HMVs but Percy Wilson was unable to help him at the time; Balfour Davey had been experimenting and collaborating with Wilson as a keen and extremely capable amateur. This is all superbly documented in Frank James's book The EMG Story.

The only other two Mk VIIs we know of on the planet are in Chunny's tender loving care: http://www.gramophonemuseum.com/emg-gra ... k-vii.html

To say I was excited about this acquisition is an understatement, and I had to wait some time before it emerged from the seller's storage - but to say it was worth the wait is also an understatement! It's a thing of exquisite quality and craftsmanship, and the sound - although not as deep as the later external horn EMGs and Experts, and despite the soundbox needing to be rebuilt - is really gorgeous.

The cabinet is quite dark and proving difficult to photograph well - I'll try again when we get a bright day here! It has beautiful veneer work by Darrieulat, the self-styled "artist in wood" whom EMG used as their cabinet maker at the time.

Here are two videos. Please excuse the shaky hand in the "show and tell" (YT in their wisdom seem to have removed the 'fix' facility) which is the first time I've attempted one of those.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vv0hwXEtuQ&t=66s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDrcIIkFoXU
Attachments
IMG_2905.JPG
IMG_2906.JPG
IMG_2907.JPG
IMG_2908.JPG
IMG_2909.JPG
IMG_2911.JPG
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: EMG Mk VII

Post by epigramophone »

Truly the Holy Grail of gramophones, and now assured of a good home. There must be a good story behind this amazing find.
Frank estimates that no more than 100 Mk VII's were made. Hopefully more than three survive, but if they do, they remain well hidden.
Even through the small speakers on my computer, the purity and delicacy of the sound is impressive. What must it sound like in the room?

Roger.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

What a fascinating machine and wonderful sound even without a rebuilt reproducer. The cabinet is really stunning. Congratulations!

Sean

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Very nice, Andy. I'm glad you got it. Very interesting machine as well.
Best regards ... AZ*

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Wow!!! Simply beautiful. I love the veneer work and how cool is that soundbox. I have an EMG cork mat but was never sure it was original, this one confirms that they were marketed. It's been an exciting few days for EMG's.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Holy Grail was a good description of this gramophone. I never even knew these machines existed a few months back.
I am both delighted and grateful to be able to see and listen to the sounds of these beautifully crafted and extremely rare gramophones.
Congratulations again:)

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Makes me want to pelt my VV-4-40 with rocks.

A couple of questions come up. I noticed that on the Gramophone Museum web site -- http://www.gramophonemuseum.com/emg-gra ... k-vii.html -- you linked to, it says that the horn is a "270°Davey Ebonite horn". Does 270° refer to the horn's BEND inside the cabinet, or what?

Also, what is the approximate length of the horn & tonearm together, and the diameter of the horn's mouth? Judging from the photos, the horn must be close to six feet, which means that the bass cutoff would be about the same as the Victrola Credenza or HMV 163--90-100 cps. if the mouth's area is appropriately large.

Just curious...

OrthoFan
Last edited by OrthoFan on Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I don't think these EMG machines would turn up in America,if at all.edisonplayer

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Oops, that's pointed out an error on my page. 270 degrees not 27. Now corrected.
Yes the 270° refers to the bend of the horn inside the cabinet. The opening on my Mk VII is 17½ inches. Unfortunately mine is in storage at the moment so I cannot measure the overall acoustic length.
Over to you Andy.
I love the Hans Bottermund video. Made my day. Thanks.

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

So wonderfully original, we grow so accustomed to seeing grille cloth or record storage behind gramophone doors that seeing the great ebonite horn lurking behind is brilliant.
What motor do they have in these earlier machines?