Garrard No 11A

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Re: Garrard No 11A

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

gokenyon wrote:How do you fix it in place?
With much... patience! :D It has to stay in place just by its own elasticity. You have to cut two straight pieces of tubing slightly longer than the circumference, and then fit them in place, one below the diaphragm, another above. The join of the outer gasket is usually placed behind the needlebar in order to conceal it (but if you do a good work it would be almost invisible anyway), the join of the inner gasket is usually placed at the opposite side, so in case there is a small air leak, the air will have to take the long way to escape.

Refer to any soundbox rebuild tutorial, it will show this with pictures. This one shows the steps on an Exhibition soundbox which has a design very similar to yours.

gokenyon
Victor Jr

Post by gokenyon »

Many thanks.
Await springs for motor rebuild too.
I will likely be looking for other things along the way too... new felt for turntable and swan neck maybe? Any thoughts...
Plus I still need to figure out the auto brake. The springs for that and how it actually functions.
I hope no parts are missing in general...
I noted a missing and broken screw in the wooden case, so this is not a first time dismantling.
Also, the horn has powder rust and was thinking about how to resolve that too...
Not sure if I should just leave it or have it stripped and repainted black...? Is it paint? Or whether to get swan neck and tubing re-chromed etc... or leave distressed...
Ach... that's for another day!
Again, thanks for everyone's help (and patience!) to date - greatly appreciated!

GOK

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

At least judging by the small portions visible in the previously posted pictures, the tonearm looks quite all right to me and I would definitely keep it as is.

However, I suggest that you first post good pictures of the parts about which you're asking advice, in order to get appropriate and useful replies.