How many machines are in your living room?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Re: How many machines are in your living room?

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Downstairs I just have the Diamond Disc C200. It's an early one too(dated 1915) and I have always been pleased with it. It is in the condition that it was when I got it..I was given it when I was teenager and that is SOME years ago now. I am not using the reproducer that came with it, with the screw plate stylus mount. I'm using my " best" original which , to be immodest, gives the most pleasing DD sound I've ever heard.
There is a 1934 Victor Magic Brain radio lurking behind the door but it doesn't count.

Jim
Attachments
DSC00009.JPG
DSC00010.JPG

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Only one, a Pathéphone no. 12 on matching cabinet and Aluminium Toursade (twisted) horn.

However the livingroom is not normally where I listen to music. I do that in my home office where I have a modern turntable setup to play 78s and diamond discs and a E model triumph with music master horn for cylinders. The reason is not my wife, it just that the office is off away from the rest of the house downstairs and it facilitates listening to music after my 3 & 5 year old go to sleep.

I hope to have by August an Amberola 1 and a Laboratory model diamond disc squeezed into my office. I plan on getting some stuff shipped from the States.

Cheers,
Bruce

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

Depends how you define "living room." We have our "parlor" that was the house's orginal living room. Not the most functional room as it has a large opening into the dining room, a the entry door on another wall, a door to a former bedroom (which we use as our iformal living room), and a fireplace on the last wall...So that room has two. A VV XVI, and an Edison Home on the baby grand (and with addition of one chair...that's all the furniture in that room). In our "informal living room" with actual seating and a TV, we have one additional machine (Vic 1)....so by my count, that makes 3 (which is actually down by one, since we used to have a VV X that I gave as a gift to a friend, which replaced a Colmbia I sold many years ago).

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

I really like Zeppy's concept of "defnining" the livingroom. With a more strict definition of livingroom I can squeeze a few more machines in the same space. :D

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

Zero for me. In my last house I had 4. In this place I have a dedicated room with 29 with some space for a few more :)
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

B.B.B
Victor I

Post by B.B.B »

2; a VV-XI & a Viva-Tonal 202 portable.
Both placed at a
pleasing distance from my listening-to-good-music comfy armchair.
Searching for The Sound

Schmaltz
Victor I
Personal Text: "Shut Your Eyes and See" (J. Joyce)

Post by Schmaltz »

My wife and I have agreed that the living room should be for conversations and/or reading. There's no phonos or even a TV in there (we killed our television two years ago, and the whole house became more peaceful from that day on).

I have a special room for the phonos and radios, similar to Brad's arrangement, though with nowhere near that many machines.
Last edited by Schmaltz on Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit the virtual jukebox at The Old Schmaltz Archives.

antiquekid3
Victor Jr

Post by antiquekid3 »

My parents wouldn't let me put either of my two in our living room, but I have my own music room to put them in. They go well in there, understandably! ;)

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Valecnik wrote:Only one, a Pathéphone no. 12 on matching cabinet and Aluminium Toursade (twisted) horn.
Now, that I would really like to see a picture of!

A No. 12 was quite a luxurious machine but to have the matching stand makes it far more interesting BUT to also have the aluminium horn "torsade" is the Holy Grail of Pathé collectors!

Please share the photos if possible!

beaumonde
Victor III

Post by beaumonde »

My phonos are split up around the apartment. In the living room are the 8-30X with tooled leather panels and my "new" Victor V. In the foyer ("gallery" in the original floor plans of this 1929 building) are the 8-35 and VV-50, and in the dining room are the Victor VI, Columbia BII, and VV-120. My other Victor and HMV portables are stacked in a corner of the bedroom.
Adam