Starkton
Victor IV

Featured Phonograph № 68

Post by Starkton »

Maker: Deutsche Grammophon AG (DGAG)
Model: Salon-Apparat De Lux
Serial: # 132
Year: 1908
Original Cost: 1000 Mark ($ 235). A German hospital doctor earned 300 Mark per month.
Case/Cabinet size: 47" H, 25" D, 22" W
Turntable Size: 12"/three-spring motor
Soundbox: Exhibition (featuring the HMV "Sound Box Clip")
Horn Dimensions: Inside horn; 10" H, 13" W at the opening
Repro Parts: None
Current Value Mint: N/A (unique model beyond price)

Interesting Facts: DGAG factory design number 218, registered on February 26, 1908. One of three inside horn models first listed in the German catalogue of April 1908. Most expensive in house model of DGAG at the time. Manufactured only on demand with a waiting time of five weeks!! DGAG cleary aimed at members of the upper class who still felt repulsed by "vulgar" open horn machines.

Favorite Characteristic: Beautiful luxurious cabinet of massive cherry wood with African mahagony veneer and inlays of precious woods and nacre. Designed in "Pre-Modern" or "Reformstil", still with elements of "Jugendstil". Characteristics of "Reformstil", popular in Germany after 1905, is reduced, geometric and monumental form.
Short catalogue life, soon replaced by baroque-style "Gramola" (= renamed "Victrola" models)

The "Sound Box Clip" is essential for handling - I couldn't live without it

A wonderful record of Edyth Walker is on the turntable

Massive cherry wood everywhere

A page from the German DGAG catalogue of April 1908

Last edited by Starkton on Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zeppy
Victor III

Re: Featured Phonograph № 68

Post by Zeppy »

Wow.....genuinely impressive. I don't know what more to say.

I do find the location of the brake interesting (albeit a touch more inconvenient). I'm guessing the location was to accomdate the angle trademark, which of course, needs a place of prodominance.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

That's certainly a unique cabinet design, especially being such an early machine.
Surely it doesn't have a re-entrant horn :shock: :? :)
When did Deutsche Grammophon AG start putting Nipper decals on their machines? I cant say I've noticed them on the external horn machines either (although I haven't seen an aweful lot of DGAG machines anyway).

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Beautiful! The layout and components appear pretty much the same as my VTLA but what a cabinet! I like that reproducer handle... never seen anything like it before.

I also noted the brake location, but since I am left-handed, the front left corner as on the American Victors of the period seems natural to me.

Jim

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

Very unique and interesting machine. It looks brand new. I am a little surprised that there isn't a needle cup.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

gramophoneshane wrote: Surely it doesn't have a re-entrant horn
Uups! Of course you are right, mistake corrected.
When did Deutsche Grammophon AG start putting Nipper decals on their machines? I cant say I've noticed them on the external horn machines either (although I haven't seen an aweful lot of DGAG machines anyway).
Probably with the introduction of Nipper on the record label. This would be 1909. I have a DGAG outside horn Monarch II with Nipper decal which dates between 1909 and 1911 .
Last edited by Starkton on Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Very interesting monumental design - and to my American eyes the nickel plate (rather than gold plate) is oddly subdued for such a machine. Yet, it looks "right" somehow. Thanks for posting this - I've never seen one like it.

George P.

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

Brad wrote:Very unique and interesting machine. It looks brand new. I am a little surprised that there isn't a needle cup.
The condition is stunning indeed, only the soundbox needed rebuilding of rock-hard rubber parts. I also missed the needle cup but after careful examination of the cabinet I am safe to say that there never was one.

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

phonogfp wrote:Very interesting monumental design - and to my American eyes the nickel plate (rather than gold plate) is oddly subdued for such a machine. Yet, it looks "right" somehow. Thanks for posting this - I've never seen one like it.

George P.
A short time after the "De Lux", the now baroque-styled DGAG flagship had gold plating and came out in three veneer options: Gramola No. 118 (oak), No. 119 (mahagony) and No. 120 (Circassian walnut), priced 900, respectively 1000 and 1100 Mark - each with a complete set of albums to house 156 records.

I also find that the restrained nickel plating matches the "cool" Reformstil better.

Kirkwood
Victor II

Post by Kirkwood »

Absolutely lovely! It looks pristine, both inside and out. Did DGAG supply albums for the records, as Victor did for the Victrola? It almost looks like the compartments either side of the speaker would hold one (slender) album each. Thanks so much for sharing these photos with us, I very much like this very clean, sharp and highly refined design.