Featured Phonograph № 72: Edison Army Navy Diamond Disc

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Featured Phonograph № 72: Edison Army Navy Diamond Disc

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Maker: Edison
Model: Special Army Navy Phonograph
Reproducer: Nickle-Plated Diamond Disc Reproducer
Motor: Single Spring
Horn: No 250 (Large Laboratory Model Size)
Serial Number: A & N 3116
Year: 1918
Original Cost: $55.00
Case/Cabinet size: Height 23 ½ Width 19 ¾ Depth 22 ¼ (inches)
Repro Parts: None

Thanks to George for suggesting I post this!

Interesting Facts: I found this on Ebay back in 2007 from the great grandaughter of the original owner, a Navy veteran of World War I. It was in the basement of the family's house in Indiana. In addition to its being pretty complete, the lady provided me with a very interesting biography of the owner, Chandler Zehner, and some details of his enlistment and service during the war.
I hope you visit this link where I've put Chandler's pictures, biography and details of his war service, including his enlistment card:
http://www.box.net/shared/r67hos5li6
Edison Army Navy Machine.jpg
Attachments
The sheet is oil-soaked and hard to read, but it appears that the inspection date is Jan 28, 1919. This of course was after the Nov 11 1918 Armistace, so perhaps this was leftover stock.
The sheet is oil-soaked and hard to read, but it appears that the inspection date is Jan 28, 1919. This of course was after the Nov 11 1918 Armistace, so perhaps this was leftover stock.
This tag is stamped differently than the one recently on Ebay.
This tag is stamped differently than the one recently on Ebay.
Detail showing storage frame for the reproducer.
Detail showing storage frame for the reproducer.
The familiar look of the standard Edison mechanism.  There are hooks and lanyard post for securing the tonearm with twine
The familiar look of the standard Edison mechanism. There are hooks and lanyard post for securing the tonearm with twine
Most machines I've seen have quite a bit of wear on top
Most machines I've seen have quite a bit of wear on top
On the left front side is a wooden storage compartment containing a grease container and graphite vial. The instructions detailed how to mix the graphite powder with grease when lubricating or replacing the mainspring. The extra mainspring and barrel is clamped to the left rear interior, behind the horn.
On the left front side is a wooden storage compartment containing a grease container and graphite vial. The instructions detailed how to mix the graphite powder with grease when lubricating or replacing the mainspring. The extra mainspring and barrel is clamped to the left rear interior, behind the horn.
Behind the grill is the oilcan and a thumbscrew for securing the horn during transportation
Behind the grill is the oilcan and a thumbscrew for securing the horn during transportation
Here are the setup instructions
Here are the setup instructions
Sometimes the cover would get separated and lost from the rest of the machine
Sometimes the cover would get separated and lost from the rest of the machine
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

gramophone78
Victor VI

Re: Featured Phonograph № 72: Edison Army Navy Diamond Disc

Post by gramophone78 »

Well,I never thought I would say this about an Edison machine but,I do like this machine. :D

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Being a Navy vet, myself, That machine and documents have a special meaning to me. You are very fortunate to have such a historical piece.
Harvey Kravitz

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Thanks for taking the time to post this and for the great pictures. I've never seen one in person, at least not within recent memory, so this is great documentation.

And Gramo78, don't start talking about like anything Edison, you're starting to scare me!!

Steve

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I noticed the key in your photo so I rushed down to my basement to see if my Army / Navy was the same. I was almost sure my machine did not have a lock. I was wrong! I slid the brass cover to the side and there was the mechanism for the lock. My my problem... I need a key! Could you post a photo of just the key? Thanks, Jerry

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Jerry:
Sure, I'll post a picture ASAP. I'll be out tonight, but'll have it done by morning.
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

solophoneman
Victor II

Post by solophoneman »

These machines were extremely heavy and had handles on either side for two men to carry it. Can you imagine lugging this through the battlefields of Europe, and then when the war was over packing it up for the trip back home ? This is obviously one of the few that went over and made it all the way back, I also have an Army/Navy Edison Serial Number 2934. Unfortunately, as was noted in the detail, one of the many that are missing the front door that covers the grill. About 10 years ago, a Collector from the midwest, sent me his A/N door and a local craftsman was able to make me a replacement. Congratulations for also preserving the provenance on this one from the family of the Navy Veteran from WWI who originally came back with the machine. According to Frow's book, the Army Navy Disc Phonograph came in Army drab and Navy Blue. I am unaware of anyone who has ever found a blue one.

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Excellent! I am fortunate to have one, and I really love it. Yours is very nice with the often missing front cover/instructions and oil can kit. ...and of course the provenance is especially meaningful! Thanks for taking the time to share.

Just realized I don't have the A/N machine in HD... well, I'll have to make a new video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl2Lgg1fxBA[/youtube]

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Very nice, Bob! Your machine is outstanding - not least for its documented provenance. Thanks for posting this.

Mine is also one of the "door-less" survivors.

George P.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Thanks so much for posting. What a great piece, with all the accessories and all the more interesting because we are able to see a little bit into the life of the original owner.

But portable??? :lol: The great granddaughter had to get help to even get it out of the basement.