Cats and Phonographs?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Cats and Phonographs?

Post by phonogfp »

bostonmike1 wrote:sorry for your loss my friend------i know first hand what a pet's impact can have. my border collie,Looflirpa,(does anyone recognise his name?...
It's the dog's name! Spelled backwards! I don't sniff lacquer. Anymore.

George P.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Victor78 wrote:Surprisingly, Klinger liked to listen to records. I thought it was weird the first time I noticed, he came and sat on the back of the lounge chair when I was spinning some shellac, and he did it again and again, so that was kinda cool.
Jim,

I wonder how uncommon that is...surely other people have cat-listening-to-the-phonograph anecdotes? In the case of the video that I posted previously in this thread, I think that a lot of the interest was the movement, but I could be wrong...
Victor78 wrote:He's now my avatar.
I had kind of guessed this, and in my opinion, good choice. Hopefully we won’t have to worry about him chasing Rocky’s avatar and emoticons...
Victor78 wrote:I had always thought of printing the old post to a pdf file for future reference...
If you decide to make use of this in the future, be sure to check out the ‘Print view’ link at the top of the page. I think you’ll find it ideal for this sort of thing.

So far, though, I think there have been a lot of great suggestions, including quite a few that I would never have considered. I think AZ*’s alarm solution would drive me insane.
phonogfp wrote:It's the dog's name! Spelled backwards! I don't sniff lacquer. Anymore.
It took me far too long to catch that, although my excuse is that I’m still feeing a bit sick. ;)

I’m starting to wonder if lacquer fumes might help clear my sinuses...

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Victor78
Victor I

Post by Victor78 »

Thanks for the ideas, some good ones to remember. I did see the beam device that AZ was talking about on a website today, looks kinda interesting! Thanks again for the ideas.

Update: We did find another young kitten, 7 months old. So far shes doing pretty well with the machines, but she hasn't figured out how to high jump yet. Good thing I had clipped her claws the other day, because she tried using my C-19 as a scratching post two days ago - after I started breathing again, a good loud NO did the trick :lol:

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Jim,

My condolences on your loss. They do become part of the family don't they. Klinger was only three? He was far to young.

My Havoc isn't much of a jumper, but old Guido was, in his younger days, so I got in the habit of placing doilies or place-mats on top on my machines. Fortunately neither on ever took to sharpening their claws on my machines.

havoc seems to like classical music. When I listen to a classical set he likes to sit on my lap, but it takes him half a side to settle down. Then I have to roust him to change the record and it starts all over. :roll:

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

Victor78
Victor I

Post by Victor78 »

Thanks John, yes, they do become members of the family - now if we could only get a tax break for them :lol:

The new kitty tried the C-19 once as I said, and hasn't been back there again, so far...

The idea of the orange peel got me thinking (that's scary) I'm going to try a little citrus oil/wax toward the bottom of a machine, and see what results I get. It may be enough to keep her away until she knows it's not a good idea to touch. I'm sure as time go's on, the jumping factor will come about, and we'll work on that as well.

Jim

Disclaimer: No animals were threatened, hurt, killed or eaten with this trial :D

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Jim,

Keep us posted on your results—anything that you discover (whether it’s effective or not) will likely be of benefit to someone else with a cat who has an equal predilection for jumping on phonographs.

I’d think that a C-19 is a bit tall for a kitten to try to jump onto, but...it’s amazing how high some cats are capable of jumping.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

I have a small porcelain cat about an inch or so tall in the wall curio, and it presents absolutely no threat to the VV-XIV that's only a few feet away.

:lol: :squirrel: :lol:

Rocky