needle cup on vic v?`

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
USlakeside
Victor III

Re: needle cup on vic v?`

Post by USlakeside »

The machine is a bit red under the turntable. The picture does distort this, but its obvious in person as well. I am almost certain these holes are original as they stain and finish was clearly applied after they were drilled and this unit has never been refinished.

??????

Silvertone
Victor II

Post by Silvertone »

In looking at the photo, it appears to me that the two holes are not symmetrical. The left hole is much closer to the rear edge. A factory installation would be more precise. Also, the needle cup does not look like a Victor part.

USlakeside
Victor III

Post by USlakeside »

This is a good point about the alignment. I will take a better picture when I get off work. The machine has the spent needle holder that does indeed look like a victor. But I am not an expert as I own no Victrola's. Any other tests to see if they are original? When I bought this machine it was in untouched crappy condition All the tarnish and green film over all the nickel was consistent. The horn elbo and the tone arm all had the sale degree of patina.

Phonolair
Victor III

Post by Phonolair »

This Victor V had the bullet type brake on it so it wasn't a late machine being made in the Victrola era. So I think it would be hard to have Victrola type needle cups on a machine from the factory before the Victrola was being made. Or even if it was made during the early VTLA or XVI era it would have been gold plated needle cups which was being used at the time. I don't think the needle cups are original to the Victor V, but were added later by a owner tired of looking for his needles all the time. Just my opinon :)
Best Regards, Larry

USlakeside
Victor III

Post by USlakeside »

Here is an image of the phonograph as found.
http://www.roudane.com/images/paintings/173269198_o.jpg

Amberola 1-A
Victor II

Post by Amberola 1-A »

To be honest, I'd have to say that was a non-Victor add-on at some point in time.

:clover:
Check with your dealer for the latest Edison Records!

Silvertone
Victor II

Post by Silvertone »

The outside horn Victors did receive some Victrola-like updates, but never the needle cups. The updates, such as automatic brake, were usually incorporated long after the Victrola received them. Also, to my knowledge, Victor never had needle cups with rounded bottoms. These look more like the ones used on Columbias or some other brand.