MOCAPS meeting, 8 February, 2009

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

MOCAPS meeting, 8 February, 2009

Post by MordEth »

While I know that PhonoJack took quite a few more pictures than I did (and no doubt better ones—I never claim to be any good with a camera; my skills are only with manipulating images in Photoshop), here are a few images to tide you over until he posts a video of his photographs.

These images are of items that solophoneman brought to the MOCAPS meeting and graciously gave me permission to photograph. I plan on cutting out both the cylinder box and the fiber needle cutter.

He also featured a few Columbia machines, although sadly I should have taken notes as to which were whose (or what they were). Here is a very interesting Columbia disc phonograph that he generously shared with us:

I will be posting more photos that I took later today (as I need to duck out in a few minutes), but I cannot thank Bill and Jack enough for inviting me to attend, or Bruce for taking the time to educate me on a number of things, including the origin of his user name.

Bill and his wife were excellent hosts, and I was glad to get to meet her, in addition to all of the other people who attended the meeting.

Stay tuned for more images.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Re: MOCAPS meeting, 8 February, 2009

Post by Edisonfan »

Very nice images Dave. I bet that was an excteing day.

Paul

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Folks,

It was a superb day and I want to thank Bill and Wendy for opening up their home to us as well as putting on a magnificent spread! Good friends, good food & good music! ;)

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

MordEth
Victor IV

Post by MordEth »

Here are 5 more photographs from the MOCAPS meeting; I had photographed this machine primarily for Aaron, as he is quite enamored with the giant horns...

Regrettably, I could not tell you the model of the Columbia cylinder machine, and I do not remember whose machine it was, but the horn was definitely stunning to see in person.

Bill’s Amberola 1-A (which can also be seen as his avatar) appears in the second photo, as well as his maroon Gem, which was the first phonograph I cut out specifically for use on a forum.

Stay tuned for more!

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

I have heard a well restored (ala Paul Baker) Columbia BC with large horn like that in a large exibitiion hall at the Union Illinois phonograph show some years back. It DID make your ears bleed. As I recall he did not get to play it much because as soon as he started it up a few people started complaining. To me it was great.

MordEth
Victor IV

Post by MordEth »

gramophoneshane wrote:That's a Columbia "BC" with the special sound amplifying reproducer. They were advertised as being "at least 16 times louder" than a regular reproducer. If it was adjusted properly with that big horn, it must have made your ears bleed!
Thankfully for my hearing, it was not anywhere near as loud as I expected it to be. I was very interested to see a number of Columbia phonographs in person; most of the machines that I have seen and heard are either Edison or Victor internal horn models.

Thanks for the information on the model of the machine—at some point I should read a book about Columbia phonographs so I’m a bit more informed. ;)

There isn’t an equivalent to The Victor Victrola page for Edison or Columbia, is there?

— MordEth

P.S. Expect several more photos from the MOCAPS meeting to be posted at some point today. :D

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Hi David,

Here are a couple of the best books on Columbia, really excellent.

First one at this link:

http://www.crunruh.com/product/0960646655?meta=FRG

Second one entitled:
Columbia Phonograph Companion, Vol. II
By: Robert W. Baumbach
Published by Stationary X-Press
ISBN 0-9606466-2-4, hardcover

Both are available at various points on the web, like eBAY.

solophoneman
Victor II

Post by solophoneman »

The first phonograph shown in this thread is a Columbia Model AH Graphophone (2nd Style) from 1905. It has a black and brass bell horn and a Columbia Analyzing Reproducer. I found out after I purchased it on ebay, that the Horn, reproducer and horn elbow were actually from a Talk-o-phone. So after some negotiations with the seller, who never disclosed these facts in his auction, I received a fair credit amount, sufficient to buy a Columbia Analyzing reproducer which was correct for this Graphophone. I Kept the Talk-O-Phone horn which does look very nice with this machine. I still have the
Talk-O-phone reproducer, in case some day I happen across a Talk-O-Phone at a bargain price which needs one.
Last edited by solophoneman on Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amberola 1-A
Victor II

Post by Amberola 1-A »

It was a great time with seldom seen Columbia machines! Many thanks to all the members that made the effort to bring these fantastic Graphophones.

:clover:
Check with your dealer for the latest Edison Records!

MordEth
Victor IV

Post by MordEth »

Here are a few more photos from the MOCAPS meeting, of a pair of Columbia phonographs shared with us by PhonoJack.

The first machine is a Columbia AB, called ‘the Macdonald’ (which is rare because only 150 survive according to Howard Hazelcorn, the author and expert on Columbia phonographs), and it is pictured with the adapter to play Concert cylinders.

And the second is a Columbia Q ‘the second style’ nickeled horn, with a repro cast-nickel plated base. These reproduction bases were produced by Aaron Cramer.

The machine in the background is the Columbia Model AH Graphophone (2nd Style), which was the first machine pictured in this thread. Regrettably, I do not remember which machine was hiding under the table.

Information on the above cylinder machines was provided by PhonoJack, who knows far more about these machines than I do. I have a few more photos (I should have taken more) that I will try to get up soon.

Thanks again to MOCAPS for having me at this meeting.

— MordEth