A couple BA questions.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophoneshane
Victor VI

A couple BA questions.

Post by gramophoneshane »

The first orange regular series Blue Amberol boxes state the price in the patents section as 60 cents each, but the last box lists the price on the front as 35 cents.
Does anyone know in what year the price was reduced, and if they went straight from 60 to 35, or was there a smaller reduction inbetween?

Also, in what year were the BA Concert series cylinders discontinued?
Last edited by gramophoneshane on Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: A couple BA questions.

Post by MordEth »

Shane,

The 28000 Concert series was discontinued in November 1918, according to this document (Mainspring Press).

According to Phil O.’s site, the price drop probably happened in 1923...but I am not certain of this.
Phil O. wrote:1923

To encourage sales, Edison dropped cylinder record and phonograph prices and cut dealer margins. Edison began loosing dealers in droves and was eventually forced to sell direct to the public via mail order.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Thanks David for pointing this out and for calling attention to this site. I did not know about it before. Lot's of good stuff here!

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Thanks for that David.
I'm actually working on something a little more indepth than what's on Phil's site, and attempting to correct a couple things.
The Mainpress document was very helpful, although they are a little off with the Grand Opera series information, but only because there were quite a few Grand Opera titles included in the 28,000 series before the introduction of Royal Purple cylinders (and never made it to Royal Purples)

I'd post what I've done so far, but I'd hate to be accused of littering the web with inaccurate information :)

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Shane,

Sadly, that’s one of the drawbacks of being as uninformed as I am of these things—I can find information out there to cite, but the question is really how accurate that information is. Obviously, just because it is on a website does not make it right, or I could create quite a lot of ridiculous ‘facts’. ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: Did you know that Thomas Edison initially planned to replace the wax cylinders with a recording process in 1903 that used ivory master to which electricity was applied? He was far ahead of the curve with electric recordings, but could not get it to work properly, and later developed the 4M Amberols instead. :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Hopefully that has enough emoticons that no-one believes me.)

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

That's very true. Even the experts appear to get things wrong on rare occasions, or new information is found that contradicts what was previously believed to be true.
I guess that's why boards like this (ideally) can be so important.
Last edited by gramophoneshane on Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amberola 1-A
Victor II

Post by Amberola 1-A »

The original Grand Opera series (2900) on BA was released in Oct. 1913 and had only 5 titles. These were later re-released as the 1st 5 in the Royal Purple series. None of these recordings exist in the Concert Series (28101-28292) in the U.S. It's too bad that they didn't concentrate on the higher end opera when the Royal Purple line was introduced.

:clover:
Check with your dealer for the latest Edison Records!

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Amberola 1-A wrote:The original Grand Opera series (2900) on BA was released in Oct. 1913 and had only 5 titles. These were later re-released as the 1st 5 in the Royal Purple series. None of these recordings exist in the Concert Series (28101-28292) in the U.S. It's too bad that they didn't concentrate on the higher end opera when the Royal Purple line was introduced.

There are quite a few Grand Opera's in the 28101-28292 range.
So far I've seen 28123, 28125, 28126, 28137, 28144, 28150, 28151, & 28161.
The boxes are the same as the Concert series, but the word "Concert" on the lid is replaced with "Grand Opera".
Are these not Grand Opera records?

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Does anyone know which number standard/popular series blue amberol was the last to have the paper pamphlet included in the box? (like the one pictured above)
The last one I have is 2137.

Amberola 1-A
Victor II

Post by Amberola 1-A »

gramophoneshane wrote: There are quite a few Grand Opera's in the 28101-28292 range.
So far I've seen 28123, 28125, 28126, 28137, 28144, 28150, 28151, & 28161.
The boxes are the same as the Concert series, but the word "Concert" on the lid is replaced with "Grand Opera".
Are these not Grand Opera records?
Yes, there are Grand Opera titled records in the 28000 series ( I own several and posted Constantino's Aida on Youtube recently), which is is called "Concert Series" in reference books for what ever reason. I don't know if this is author error, but several reference these as such. Ron Dethlefson and Allan Sutton to name a few.
If you read my above post, I simply stated that a "Grand Opera Series" title was given to 5 BAs in 1913 and that they were later the first 5 in the Royal Purple Series.

Check with your dealer for the latest Edison Records!