Featured Phonograph No. 79 - Columbia AO

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Featured Phonograph No. 79 - Columbia AO

Post by Valecnik »

Make: Columbia
Model: AO
Serial # 276295
Year(s) Made: 1903
Original Cost: 30.00
Case/Cabinet Size: 13 x 9 inches
Turntable/Mandrel: 4"
Reproducer/Sound-Box: #5
Motor: triple spring
Horn Dimensions: aluminium
Reproduction Parts: trunion
Current Value: ?
Interesting Facts: Could play 8 two minute records when fully wound

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8bv9_9Dco8[/youtube]
Attachments
ColumbiaAO1.jpg
ColumbiaAO2.jpg
ColumbiaAO3.jpg
ColumbiaAO5.jpg
ColumbiaAO6.jpg
ColumbiaAO7.jpg
ColumbiaAO8.jpg
ColumbiaAO9.jpg
Last edited by Valecnik on Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Re: Featured Phonograph No. 79 - Columbia AO

Post by briankeith »

This is one beautiful machine - great workmanship on tha cabinet.

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

Beautiful machine in nice condition. I especially like the woodwork. This is one of very few phonographs which looks fancy even with closed lid!

Can you please show us the motor also. I always regret that views on the motor parts are rarely shown, even in reference books.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

A very handsome machine indeed. I have to admit, if I was buying a phonograph in the first few years of the 20th century, I think it would have been a Columbia. Edison machines just look too drab next to most Columbias, and the cabinet on this model especially, is a magnificent design.
Thanks for sharing it with us!

PS...+1 on the motor pic :D

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Great machine. I don't know why, but most Columbia machines look so much more interesting and decorative than Edisons or Victors.
Thanks for sharing
Andreas

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Wonderful machine! You can't beat a Columbia cylinder machine for good looks and yours is one of the best.
I have a question for you long time collectors... In the Pacific Northwest, almost all first generation collectors placed little value on Columbia cylinder machines. As a result, I was able to buy many really nice ornate Columbia machines at great prices. Was this true in other areas? Jerry Blais

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Jerry B. wrote:I have a question for you long time collectors... In the Pacific Northwest, almost all first generation collectors placed little value on Columbia cylinder machines. As a result, I was able to buy many really nice ornate Columbia machines at great prices. Was this true in other areas? Jerry Blais
The same was true back East, Jerry. I think much of the earlier collector bias against Columbia machines was based on 2 things: 1) Pot metal carriages (although collectors forgave Edison for pot metal bearings and reproducers/recorders), and 2) Perceptions of dishonesty, greed, and other negative human traits alleged of the Columbia management by Oliver Read & Walter Welch in From Tinfoil to Stereo. The negative perceptions we formed in our early years can still be found on some websites belonging to collectors who really should know better by now! The Columbia management are vilified to this day by those who believe what they read in Tinfoil to Stereo, and the machines purveyed by them are sometimes painted with the same brush. Personally, I love Graphophones, but then my character has always been suspect...

Bruce's beautiful example of an "AO" reminds me of a short article that appeared almost a year ago - and it includes a photo of the motor!

George P.
Attachments
final ao article.pdf
(584.38 KiB) Downloaded 299 times

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Excellent article George,

I'd forgotten about that one. How appropriate to post it here now!

I'll also try to get a picture of the motor, although the one in the article is also very good.

A general comment: It's nice to see some "featured phono" activity again even though it's not archived anymore. Members of this forum have so much to share.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

phonogfp wrote:
Jerry B. wrote:I have a question for you long time collectors... In the Pacific Northwest, almost all first generation collectors placed little value on Columbia cylinder machines. As a result, I was able to buy many really nice ornate Columbia machines at great prices. Was this true in other areas? Jerry Blais
The same was true back East, Jerry. I think much of the earlier collector bias against Columbia machines was based on 2 things: 1) Pot metal carriages (although collectors forgave Edison for pot metal bearings and reproducers/recorders), and 2) Perceptions of dishonesty, greed, and other negative human traits alleged of the Columbia management by Oliver Read & Walter Welch in From Tinfoil to Stereo. The negative perceptions we formed in our early years can still be found on some websites belonging to collectors who really should know better by now! The Columbia management are vilified to this day by those who believe what they read in Tinfoil to Stereo, and the machines purveyed by them are sometimes painted with the same brush. Personally, I love Graphophones, but then my character has always been suspect...

Bruce's beautiful example of an "AO" reminds me of a short article that appeared almost a year ago - and it includes a photo of the motor!

George P.
In regards to your question, Jerry, the NE recently spawned another fan of Columbia (American) Graphophones! ME. ;)

I just found this post, excellent timing! Nearly 3-½ years prior to me needing it! How did you know?

Just joking, I like this particular post because it contains 2 people that I now associate with, Jerry, the man that sold me an AO, and George, the man that encourages me to see more and to learn more!

GREAT article, as usual George!

Thanks again to both of you.

(George, Love the C-19, BTW)
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Valecnik, beautiful instrument!

Thank you for posting so many different machines in such detail!
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.