mutual phonograph company

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
bobsled48
Victor O

Re: mutual phonograph company

Post by bobsled48 »

Also interesting is the group of gentlemen and women shown on the opening page, the fellow furthest to the right has a resemblance to Thomas Edison and he is reaching towards the machine on the table that strongly resembles a Columbia N or A. Bob

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I'm pretty sure that the illustration was altered by an artist - - I've never seen any Graphophone with a decal like that. You'll see the same customized banners on Polyphone illustrations, and the floor cabinet coin-op shown in the Chicago Talking Machine Co. catalog. None of these banners have been found on actual machines to my knowledge.

George P.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

bobsled48 wrote:Also interesting is the group of gentlemen and women shown on the opening page, the fellow furthest to the right has a resemblance to Thomas Edison and he is reaching towards the machine on the table that strongly resembles a Columbia N or A. Bob
I noticed that too - - should have mentioned that in my long-winded spiel about Edison's implied collaboration. The machine is definitely a Type N, with that crazy decal!

George P.

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Didn't we talk about that picture once before? And didn't someone point out that it is the executive committee for the Chicago World's Fair of 1892-93? Or am I dreaming...( and it wouldn't be the first time..)

Jim

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

Here is the original print of that picture from the Columbian World's fair (May - October 1893)

An interesting point is that Peter Bacigalupi, an organ builder from Peru, met Leon Forrest Douglass at the Columbian Expo. Both became friends. Douglass had secured the right for phonographs during the World’s fair, making much money ($3000), which deeply impressed Bacigalupi.

Some months later, Bacigalupi returned and settled in California. He immediately purchased the entire business of the Chicago Talking Machine Co. (C.T.M.Co.) including the concession for the California Midwinter International Exposition 1894. Bacigalupi made his friend Douglass, who bought one third of the C.T.M.Co., vice president.

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

phonogfp wrote:I have copies of a flyer advertising the Type N at retail, with a half-tone photo of the production model. This flyer was mailed in early September 1895 (the original envelope is still with it). From this I infer that the Type N was ready for shipment in September 1895.
I am happy to correct my files. Could you please show a scan of the flyer and name the exact mailing date and the addressee.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

Starkton wrote:
phonogfp wrote:I have copies of a flyer advertising the Type N at retail, with a half-tone photo of the production model. This flyer was mailed in early September 1895 (the original envelope is still with it). From this I infer that the Type N was ready for shipment in September 1895.
I am happy to correct my files. Could you please show a scan of the flyer and name the exact mailing date and the addressee.
Oops - I should have written that the flyer was mailed in early October 1895, but the inference remains the same: the Type N was ready in September. Rather than scan the envelope, I'll include the dated cover letter that refers to the "Bijou." Note too that the machine at first wasn't available alone, but only as an outfit - and priced at $50.00. "No reduction in price when any part of outfit is omitted at purchaser's request." This couldn't have lasted long...

George P.
Attachments
img039.jpg
img040.jpg

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

phonogfp wrote:I'm pretty sure that the illustration was altered by an artist - - I've never seen any Graphophone with a decal like that. You'll see the same customized banners on Polyphone illustrations, and the floor cabinet coin-op shown in the Chicago Talking Machine Co. catalog. None of these banners have been found on actual machines to my knowledge.

George P.
The "artist" forgot to remove the corner of the top of the machine--it is clearly still visible protruding from the leg of the first spectator's (with arms akimbo) pants near the table edge!

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

phonogfp wrote: Note too that the machine at first wasn't available alone, but only as an outfit - and priced at $50.00. "No reduction in price when any part of outfit is omitted at purchaser's request." This couldn't have lasted long...

George P.
This is a fantastic flyer!! Thank you for sharing. Good to know how the black and gold painting of the original funnel looked like.

Especially the automatic stop feature is new to me. I cannot remember to have read about it in the instruction manual: "The mandrel stops automatically when end-gate is opened and starts again as soon as gate is closed."

How cool is that, I will immediately try it on my "Bijou" (I prefer not to name it "Type N" :) )

I agree about the very likely introduction of the Bijou in September.