Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Featured Phonograph № 7

Post by Edisonfan »

Make: Victor Talking Machine Co.
Model: VV-IV
Serial # 441885
Years: 1911-1926
Original Cost: $15.00
Case/Cabinet Size: Oak Case L 11 ¾ in. x D 12 ½ in. x H 7 ½ in.
Turntable: 10 in.
Soundbox: Exhibition
Motor: Single Spring
Horn: Cast Iron
Horn Dimensions: I do not know?
Repro Parts: Diaphragm Replaced in Soundbox
Current Value: $295.00
Interesting Facts:

1911 501-20000 Stamped Steel Horn Grille (ends around S/N 10000, replaced by conventional wooden slats). Flat Crank Shank. Speed control located on rear of motorboard.
1912 20000-75000 Some machines have an A or B suffix
1913 75000-112000 B suffix until replaced by C suffix very late in year
1914 112000-163500 C, D or E suffix used. Use of round crank shank begins around S/N 160700
1915 163500-215000 E suffix
1916 215000-290000 E suffix. Some machines use "IV-" as model designation after mid year
1917 290000-380000 E suffix early in year. IV-A* designation used after mid-year (around S/N 328000). Slatless ("hollow") horn opening on late year machines.
1918 380000-434000 Horn slats return on machines made after mid-year (around S/N 400000)
1919 434000-463000 IV-A* designation discontinued early in year (around S/N 440000)
From the Victor-Victorla Site.

Favorite Characteristics: My first Victrola.
Attachments
dcp_0007.jpg
Last edited by Edisonfan on Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: Featured Phonograph № 7

Post by Valecnik »

A very nice little machine!

This one brings back memories. When I first started collecting, after having amassed a collection of 5 or 6 Edison Diamond disc machines and a few Edison cylinder machines, I ventured into the world of 78rpm disc machines and Victor with the purchase of a similar machine from a well known local collector I'd purchased from before. He'd just purchased a small collection himself and this machine was among them. I did not check it too carefully. when I got it home and tried to crank it, the crank did not seem to engage at all so I thought,... broken spring. It was then I noticed that the platter seemed to be setting AWFULLY close to the wooden bedplate.... and for good reason. NO MOTOR! :lol:

I thought it was awfully light to carry and I don't even recall what kept the platter from just sliding off as I carried it but no matter. He was a nice guy and gave me my money back.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Edisonfan wrote:1919 434000-463000 IV-A* designation discontinued early in year (around S/N 440000)
Paul,

I’m guessing from your serial number that your machine is from after they discontinued the VV-IV-A designation?

I’ve always like the Victrola table-top machines, and yours matches the cabinet below it very nicely.
Valecnik wrote:I did not check it too carefully. when I got it home and tried to crank it, the crank did not seem to engage at all so I thought,... broken spring. It was then I noticed that the platter seemed to be setting AWFULLY close to the wooden bedplate.... and for good reason. NO MOTOR! :lol:

I thought it was awfully light to carry and I don't even recall what kept the platter from just sliding off as I carried it but no matter.
I think this is a great argument for ‘always check the machine!

Thankfully the seller was nice about it and refunded the money.

...and I had thought that Paul had previously shown photos of the cabinet pictured above, so after a bit of searching I found:

which appeared (and was discussed) in this thread.

Thanks for sharing your VV-IV with us, Paul. :D

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

I have one of these sitting on my project shelf (needs a new spring). Nice little machine I was planning to give as a gift to a friend who has limited space, and an appreciation of my toys.

Great little machine...but I'm biased to anything produced by the VTMC.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Zeppy wrote:I have one of these sitting on my project shelf (needs a new spring).
As far as spring replacement goes, the VV-IV is a relatively simple motor to service, isn’t it? (It’s been a while since I’ve looked at the innards of one.)

If I remember correctly, it’s a fairly small single spring motor, although I’m not positive about the ‘fairly small’ part of that statement. ;)

Paul confirmed the other part:
Edisonfan wrote:Motor: Single Spring
I’d imagine that a VV-IV would make a nice gift.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

MordEth wrote:
Zeppy wrote:I have one of these sitting on my project shelf (needs a new spring).
As far as spring replacement goes, the VV-IV is a relatively simple motor to service, isn’t it? (It’s been a while since I’ve looked at the innards of one.)

If I remember correctly, it’s a fairly small single spring motor, although I’m not positive about the ‘fairly small’ part of that statement. ;)

Paul confirmed the other part:
Edisonfan wrote:Motor: Single Spring
I’d imagine that a VV-IV would make a nice gift.

— MordEth

Should be relatively easy....just need to take a look at the spring details so I know what to order. And between the VTLA (and the baby, and law school, and work)...just haven't gotten around to doing the hour or so of work to finish it and get it off my to do list.

And I think it does make a rather nice gift...and relatively inexpensive (I think I picked it up around $100, including shipping), so it's not like I'm breaking the bank. But it is something that would be appreciated. :)

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

it's a nice little machine and cabinet, but haven't you already posted photos of this one?

B.B.B
Victor I

Post by B.B.B »

I just love the VV-IV.
After performing CPR on one, I've come to love 'em all :D
new_vvviclr.JPG
Attachments
broekkkem.JPG
Searching for The Sound

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

Yes Brian, I have posted this photo before, to show off the cabinet. Also, I was the frist to feature a phonograph, when we were still on Pro Boards. However, during the transition. The photo, and inforamtion were lost. :( So, when I found out that, David, had done a featured phono No.7, I thought I would put the photo back up, to go along with the machine.

As for the discontinuation of the machine David, mine does not have an "A" after the serial number. :?

BTW; yes those are DD's in the bottom of the cabinet. I had no room, anywhere else.

My finally machine will be my Edison Cylinder Home Phonogrpah. Which I will save for a latter date. To give other people a chance to show off their machines. Plus, I need to get some more information on it. I asked George Paul, about it a while back, but have lost the information. :oops:

Paul

rvuill
Victor Jr

Post by rvuill »

I haven't worked on a IV in years but always found the most difficult item was finding replacement knobs. It seems like one is always missing and they are such an unusual size and difficult to find. Is anybody reproducing them?