Victrola Gothic model on Craigslist UK! :-)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: Victrola Gothic model on Craigslist UK! :-)

Post by OrthoFan »

bart1927 wrote: If you can spend that kind of money wouldn't it be cheaper to buy? For EUR 1000 a month you could get a big enough mortgage over here to buy a decent house.
But let's get back O.T.
Not in San Francisco, where even now, the average selling price for a 2-bedroom attached fixer-upper is about $500.000.00-$800,000.00 (See: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/rea/ ). (The Bay Area is an anomaly, and does not reflect real-estate prices in the rest of the US.)

Fortunately, (back O.T.) Victrolas seem to be falling in price, if our local Craigslist is any indication:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/sss? ... maxAsk=max

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

bart1927 wrote: I don't particularly like this style. It looks like something the Addams Family would own ; ).

I also have a really tiny apartment, but one day I would really like to have a Credenza, or a a similar European model, perhaps a Re-entrant such as the HMV 163. They are not cheap, but they do turn up occasionally in the Netherlands, I even found a couple yesterday, on http://www.marktplaats.nl, (marktplaats translates to "market place") for less than EUR 700.
Just think Bart this one is big enough to use as a guest bedroom! Buy it and you'll never need to move again! ;)
Speaking of the Netherlands...I tuned for the Ives Ensemble from Amsterdam yesterday. They were charming and fun and excellent musicians!

Jim

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

That is definitely a scam. I remember the listing on ebay because I bid on the item. You won't find a machine wherever this "Seller" says he has it.. Stay away from it folks!!

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I'm going to contact the seller and ask if I can view it one evening this week. I'll report back with their reply. Now don't hold your breath, anyone! ;)

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

"I don't particularly like this style. It looks like something the Addams Family would own" ---Ha Ha Ha!!! So True!!

However, my family makes the Addams Family look like Ozzie and Harriet Nelson's TV family so it found the perfect home!!

But seriously, don't waste your time following up on this...

I think it's pretty attractive, it is original (until I get the missing trim replaced), it is really rare, it worked from the start, and with a few strategically placed decorations to cover the missing parts, it is a perfect fit in the entryway to our home.

Sorry about all the "junk" on top- A Gramophone Co Jr Monarch, a Columbia AB, Columbia BQ....

Gomez & Thing (great to have him/her around for dusting the tight places)

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Looks good to me. I'm trying to see from the picture whether you might actually have the original key there too? Mine had a sort of a blackened "hammered iron" key which matched the rest. If you ever get around to it, you may want to consider forwarding us some more detailed closeup pictures. I for one would be interested to see "under the hood" the motor too. Also would like to know the serial number. Cheers, Valecnik

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

No key, there's just a regular Victor key in it. That'd been great to have but wasn't included.

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Thanks for cleaning up the photo David. I was really taking these shots to prove that I had these in case Uncle Fester blew up the house.... I could go on with the Addams Family wordplay forever... please, someone stop me!!!! But don't speak French!!

Steve

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Dear Gomez,

I still would like to see some pic under the hood and know the serial no. when you get time. The finish on the metal parts of these is quite unique and impressive, unlike any other victor machine I've seen, and that motor, if you can pop it up for a picture, (I think it pivots out) is a huge impressive 4 springer!

Removing the motor entirely would also provide me with a nice box in which to live!

Sincerely, Thing
thing(2).jpg
thing(2).jpg (10.15 KiB) Viewed 2985 times

Amberola 1-A
Victor II

Post by Amberola 1-A »

Schweg,

You think your Gothic Victrola has "stuff" on it? I'll have to take a pic of the top our 10-50. Aside from the Victor Royal and Gem D that reside there, Wendy has added a veritable "village" of Royal Dalton figurines plus part of her mini phono collection!

:clover:
Check with your dealer for the latest Edison Records!