most valuable phonographs?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
toomanyphonos

Re: most valuable phonographs?

Post by toomanyphonos »

I had the opportunity to pick up a Edison Diamond Disc military machine a few years ago for $ 300.00 in nearby town from me, but it was winter, cold blizzardy outside, and money was tight for such a ugly machine...well it turns out someone bought it, and i didnt realize that these are actually rare.

My guess on the obtainable machines are:

Outside Horn (Victor and Columbia)
Edison 78 rpm Portables (P-1 & P-2)
Victor Victrola VV 1-70
Victor Victrola VV 1-90
RCA Portable (Special model / John Vasso designed), I want one but they are over-rated for the price.
Edison Idealia / Opera / Early Amberolas

There are always some particular models of a common machine that will command a little more, such as front crank VV-50; VV-IV an VV-VI with the forward crank and motor used in early horn machines.

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

Jerry B. wrote:How about the military version of the spectacle phonograph? Jerry Blais

what exactly would that be? I've never heard of one.

otherwise, most of the machines listed above are what I was thinking of... the auxetophone, the hexaphone, multiphone and other such multi-cylinder players (with or without the coin-op),

was the L-door the only machine in the moorish marquetry cabinet?

you're joking about the doll, right?

and the idealias and class m's and most tinfoil machines still pretty much top out around 20,000 us, no? whereas the others above tend to sell, even in bad markets, for far more, at least from what I've seen...?

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I thought the Idealias were about 20-25K for a really nice one, but I thought you could add another 5-10 for an Ideal being the earlier version & only made for 2 months?

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Well two Idelia sold for ~$35K & $41k a few years back. Both were pretty nice, original machines. Both came out of Europe. One sold in Germany at an Auction and the $41k one came out of a European collection & was sold by Guido Severijns. That one landed in New Jersey. Not sure where the German one ended up.

The cheaper one was equipped with a side carriage and 11 panel wood grain cygnet. The second was a top mount with the same horn. Both were B models that had been converted as I recall...

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

brianu wrote:
Jerry B. wrote:How about the military version of the spectacle phonograph? Jerry Blais
what exactly would that be? I've never heard of one.
Look here, at the bottom of the page: http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... f=2&t=5754

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Here's the one that sold on eBAY for $41k. I guess it was a D model.
Attachments
idelia-2.jpg

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

brianu wrote:
Brianu wrote:
you're joking about the doll, right?

Brianu, not sure if you were directing that comment at me??. However, the "guest" is right.....it is NOT a Phonograph but a Gramophone... :lol:. Since some feel it was a commercially produced item......it would be up in the top 10 as far as worth IMHO.

The "military spectacle Phonograph" I believe was not a commercially produce item.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Didn't the original poster (Brianu) ask about DISC machines as well as cylinder machines?

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

I just had no idea that those phonograph/gramophone dolls (for lack of better terms) were in the 20,000-plus price range. then again, I didn't realize that the idealias were as well ($41,000 though just seems crazy (although considering the seller, I imagine anything is possible) - is it just their rarity? because I just always considered them a somewhat more ornate version of edison's opera machine).

that military "spectacle" machine is wild, though. I'd never before noticed it in all my times flipping through the books. perhaps it was some sort of prototype, experiment or presentation piece? because I can't imagine many having been produced, or why they would have bothered - what would you have played on them? or was the intention to start producing much smaller cylinders as well... but the recording lengths would have to be shortened considerable as well, to a minute or probably less, no? I can't imagine that being very marketable. I'm also curious as to the source of the "military" designation.

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

Steve wrote:Didn't the original poster (Brianu) ask about DISC machines as well as cylinder machines?
He did say that but he also mentioned "top 5" which would probably exclude the disc machines :lol: entirely