Victor III

Featrued Phonograph No. 84 - Decca Salon

Post by Nat »

Make: Decca
Model: Salon – Model 70
Serial #: 14255
Year(s) Made: 1928-29 as near as I can find out
Original Cost: ???
Reproducer/Sound-Box: “Salon Soundbox – Swiss Made” – The stylus bar is attached by two metal plates with spring between them – no bearings. Fibre gaskets.
Motor: Garrard 11B, two-spring
Reproduction Parts: one nob on door, not yet installed; turntable felt (no idea of original color)
Current Value: I paid $200
Favorite Characteristics: Lightweight (easy to move) – wonderful, clear, full sound, quiet motor, smooth winding
Attachments
DSCN0394.JPG
Decca Motor Two.JPG
Decca morot board.JPG
DSCN0396.JPG

David Spanovich
Victor II

Re: Featrued Phonograph No. 84 - Decca Salon

Post by David Spanovich »

Hi Nat:

That's a great looking gramophone. I'm wondering, is the horn wood or metal; a folded design, etc. I've seen a few videos of the larger UK Decca cabinet models, and they sound pretty good.

DS

Nat
Victor III

Post by Nat »

Thanks - I forgot to enter information about the horn: it appears to be made of some sort of strong fibre, almost metallic in hardness. It's not folded, but it follows what seems to be a "sort of" exponential curve, so it may classify as an attempt at an orthophonic horn, though the total length would be only 3 or 4 feet, counting the taper tube.

It is very loud when playing late-period 78's, even with soft needles; with older electrics it's quite good, and it does not have the cavernous/muddy sound that my Credenza adds to acoustics. I expect the volume is due to the size of the (aluminum?) diaphragm, which must be around 2 ¼".

The sound is startlingly clear and well-rounded.

Eventually it will move to my cabin, where it will fit the decor perfectly, and allow me to play records on something other than my portables or my VV-VI.

Nat

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Nice machine, Nat!

Thanks for sharing, I was wondering how it turned out and it looks great.

Sean

antique1973
Victor IV
Personal Text: Victor Z, Victrola 4-3

Post by antique1973 »

Very nice condition, thanks for posting!

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Very spiffy! Here's a Salon Decca ad from the October 1928 Gramophone. I love the phrase...." the artists become your personal guests"
Jim
Attachments
IMG.jpg

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Nice machine, thanks for sharing. Interesting governor design with the springs outside of the weights, I've never seen that before. Also quite an elaborate auto-brake design. Does it work properly?
Funny that the motor says "Salon - Made in England" while the soundbox is also called "Salon" but Swiss made.
Thanks
Andreas

Nat
Victor III

Post by Nat »

I'm still figuring out all the brake controls, but yes, it does work - though it's tripped by how close the arm is to the center, not by the eccentric rings. This is the one thing I don't much like about it.

David Spanovich
Victor II

Post by David Spanovich »

Hi Nat:

I was wondering, what are the dimensions of the cabinet? From the photos it looks to be about the size of a VV-4-7 cabinet; judging it's size compared to the chair and portable radiator.

DS

Nat
Victor III

Post by Nat »

Wow, I left out all sorts of information - too excited to be posting, I guess! :oops: But hey! it's my first non-Victor!

Height: 36"
Width: 20"
Depth: 21"

I'm going to take the grill off and have a go at tightening the grill cloth; when I do that, I'll take some shots of the horn & post them.

Nat