Andersun
Victor III

Featured Phonograph No. 87

Post by Andersun »

Make: National Phonograph Co.
Model: ALVA
Serial # 74151
Years: 1907-1912
Original Cost: $85.00 in 1907, and was increased to $100.00 on 1911.
Case/Cabinet Size: Oak Case L 18 ½ in. x D 12 ¾ in. x H 14 ⅜ in.
Turntable: 2 ¼" Diameter 2 or 4 Minute Cylinders
Soundbox: Model O (2 & 4 min)
Motor: Edison Universal Electric
Horn: Oak Music Master Cygnet
Horn Dimensions: -----
Repro Parts: Case is a home made Edison Concert repro made by Art Wilmoth. Original case would have been a Triumph B-F case with raised side panels, no hole for crank, and two ventilation holes drilled in case bottom.
Current Value: -----
Interesting Facts: Mechanism is completely original including finish, motor resistor underneath, and original power cord which screwed into a light socket! Factory installed Model D repeater. Runs on either AC or DC power, also has special numbered plate on upper bed plate below carriage for positioning carriage. This machine was part of the Art Wilmoth collection. Art was one of the original Edison phonograph collectors who was in the hobby from 1932 to 1989. He even cast his own Model O reproducer upper housings. In the machine was a card written by Art Wilmoth stating the following: "First machine in this collection- 1932-cost 3.50 with 150 new cylinder records."

The motor is extremely quiet and produces a very constant speed making the machine one of the best sounding machines I have owned.
Attachments
IMG_4165.JPG
IMG_4156.JPG
IMG_4127.JPG
IMG_4155.JPG
IMG_4157.JPG
IMG_4160.JPG
IMG_4161.JPG
IMG_4162.JPG
IMG_4163.JPG
IMG_4164.JPG

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Re: Featured Phonograph No. 87

Post by edisonphonoworks »

Very beautiful machine, It is basically an electrified model F very rare!!! Thank You for sharing.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Fantastic piece with a great history. Amazing Art Wilmouth was already looking for things like this as early as 1932. I'd imagine there were still a few in use then.

Thanks for posting.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Fabulous machine with a great history. I was fortunate to meet Art Wilmoth back in the seventies. I love the fancy case. Jerry Blais

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Not many Alvas around - - thanks for sharing yours!

George P.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Nice machine!

I'm trying to complete a similar machine, a model B which passed through the hands of the infamous Bob Adams, of Cleveland Ohio.

The original motor had a badly burned commutator, a motor shop quoted the "outrageous" sum of $50.00 to fix it, and so Adams cobbled an Ekonowatt motor from a later Ediphone in as a replacement. I've been looking for the rectangular cast aluminum motor for years now. As I wish to play four minute records, I've fitted the machine with a combination attachment with a proper, large pulley and planetary gear form an Antipodean source. The combination unit works wonderfully well.

From the same source, I have a set of Idelia lid lid hardware, and a full set of Idelia mouldings, in pearwood. I once owned an Idelia with a gilded cabinet with Watteau scenes painted thereon (a family piece, unfortunately missing the lid) which had suffered a broken base moulding. I was intending to repair the machine until it was destroyed in my late fire. The mouldings had just arrived in the mail and so were in the house at the time of the conflagration.

Phototone
Victor III

Post by Phototone »

So, would this be the same electric motor as used on Ediphones of the same year?

Andersun
Victor III

Post by Andersun »

Phototone wrote:So, would this be the same electric motor as used on Ediphones of the same year?
The same motor was used on the Edison Business Machines (later called Ediphones) but it had a different nameplate (Edison Business Phonograph Co.) on it and I believe the resistor was mounted on the back of case on the outside. See picture of motor with nameplate....
Attachments
7.jpg

Andersun
Victor III

Post by Andersun »

Here is information and pricing on the Alva from a 1911 catalog....
Attachments
1911 Alva Outfit.jpg

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

Andersun wrote: "First machine in this collection- 1932-cost 3.50 with 150 new cylinder records."
Nice presentation of a very desirable Edison model! Everybody should have the opportunity to begin a phonograph collection with a rare machine offered cheaply.