My G&T New Style 3

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
pappde
Victor O

My G&T New Style 3

Post by pappde »

I sarted, nothing can stop me now! :D
Here is my project gramophone, Gramophone & Typewriter Company New Style #3.
I took the motor completely apart, cleaned in naphtha, removed all the caked on grime, oiled it up and buffed it where it needed, then put it back together.
Works smoothly as far I can tell, regulates well and has some noise, but that can be expected from an early type of gramophone motor like this.
The spring housing has quite nice plating on, that cleaned up really nice with CapeCod cloth. There is some plating separation on the top part, but I left that as is. The speed control/brake assembly cleaned up well nice also, I think.
The turntable with the felt, well I did what Steve suggested. I washed it together with the turntable in lukewarm water with Woolite and dried it out in the oven! 8-)
It smells great now, though all the rust stains remained, maybe a bit lightened up. Amazingly, about half the plating on the edge of the turntable is still intact. The felt is in in poor shape, but not torn at all.
Next comes the cabinet, I leave it for Sunday maybe. :roll:
Attachments
TT3.JPG
TT2.JPG
TT1.JPG
motor4.JPG
motor3.JPG
motor2.JPG
motor1.JPG
Last edited by pappde on Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bob27556
Victor I

Re: My G&T New Style 3

Post by bob27556 »

Good luck with your project. Can you post some photos of the cabinet?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Looking good so far! And bless you for keeping the original turntable felt.

We'll be looking forward to seeing photos when it's completed!

George P.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

phonogfp wrote:Looking good so far! And bless you for keeping the original turntable felt.

We'll be looking forward to seeing photos when it's completed!

George P.
Amen to that. Nothing wrong with that felt. It shows a little age, that's all.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Looks great so far. I can't wait to see the whole machine together. The felt is just how one likes to see it.Congrats again!!!.

pappde
Victor O

Post by pappde »

I am obsessive compulsive, if I would have a therapist he/she would consider it a clinical case.
The rust spots on the felt were worrying me. what if the platter is rusted and humidity would work its way in and make the rust worse! BUT I wanted to sve the felt. Felt or Rust?
So I tried something out and it is working so far!
I immersed the platter in alcohol overnight. And this mornig the felt came off without any effort. And my worry was apropriate! The top surface of the whole platter wuas covered with rust! At some places it pitted the metal! Inthink what happened that the burnt shellac that was the glue, soaked up moisture and heince the rust.
I carefuly rinsed out the felt in clean alcohol and it is drying now. The thing with wool felt is not to get it wet with water, because water makes it shrink. So far it looks that it did not shrink! When I washed the platter and the felt with water the shrinkage was prevented by the fact that the felt was strongly glued to the platter! And it was this shellack glue. When I reinstall the felt I will use 3M "rubber" glue, that is a glue that will hold the felt nicely, but will not prevent shrinkake, would get the felt wet. ;)

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

wow, well you have been doing your homework! oneday i hope to restore one of these machines myself! so i will try to keep informed on this topic!

pappde
Victor O

Post by pappde »

As promised hera come the photos for the felt cleaning and after reglueing(?).
Attachments
This is how it looks now!
This is how it looks now!
The loose felt and the cleaned up turntable before gluing
The loose felt and the cleaned up turntable before gluing

pappde
Victor O

Post by pappde »

And now the cabinet!
I think it really looks great.
I used a combination of cleaners. A quick, less then 20seconds KK wipe followed by Howards Restor-A-Finish for about 30-40 seconds.
On the decal I used a dilute alcohol soapy water mix with a cotton ball, wary sift light strokes 3-4 times.
Then I wiped all dry and applied Howards Feed-N-Wax as recommended on the flask.
Attachments
The top part
The top part
The front end
The front end
Decal side
Decal side
The Decal
The Decal

pappde
Victor O

Post by pappde »

And here is the baseboard with the motor mounted.
When I took the gramophone apart I was surprised to find a black rubber like material, about a mm thick, between the base-plate of the motor and the baseboard of the cabinet. Was that intended for vibration reduction? If so, I have find a replacement material to replace it.
Attachments
motorboard1.JPG