At what point should you clean it before trying to sell it?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

At what point should you clean it before trying to sell it?

Post by MordEth »

This looks like absolute junk, and it appears that the grille cloth rotted or tore away...but the sentence in blue was what made me post this listing. :lol:

Perhaps there’s something to salvage there, but...I’d think that cleaning it up would greatly enhance the sale price of the machine, unless it would make it painfully apparent that there isn’t.

— MordEth

[hr][/hr]

Antique Victrola record player (Virginia Beach)

Reply to: sale-rwfuh-1089021990@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-03-23, 9:28PM EDT

I have a very old Victrola record player. I have not tried to play it, as I am not an antique collector. Everything seems to be there. Don’t let the picture fool you, that is dust. The player is in better shape than appears. Make me an offer that I can not refuse :) vabeachlover2@gmail.com 757-971-5105

Image Image
Image Image

• It’s NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests.
Craigslist PostingID: 1089021990
Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

wjw
Victor II

Re: At what point should you clean it before trying to sell it?

Post by wjw »

"The player is in better shape than it appears"

Couldn't be any worse, eh? It needs an E-bay style description, like: "an unmolested, albeit possibly buggered example..."

scooter
Victor O

Post by scooter »

Interestingly, I found a similar model on e-bay. I've not seen one of these before, do they sound good with that type of horn?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0309175897
Attachments
Victor.jpg
Victor.jpg (18.4 KiB) Viewed 3935 times

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Not to be the perennial wet blanket, but this ad really should be flagged down. "Make me an offer" implies that this is an auction, which is not allowed on craigslist. (I went through this when I sold my HMV 102 a couple of years ago. My original ad was flagged off the site and I was told by the staff that I had to specify a price. They referred me to the site's FAQ section:

"...craigslist is not an auction site. If you have something to offer, please post a set price. Please do not scalp or solicit bidding contests on craigslist, and do not link to offsite auctions on eBay or elsewhere."

As for the VV-1-70, it actually does pump out a pretty decent sound for its size, since it was designed as a cheaper alternative to the Orthophonic Victrola for playing electrical records. The main challenge is finding one that has a #4 sound box that isn't crumbing and falling apart.

I thought I'd add this video I found online. Sounds like the sound box could stand some adjustment, but it gives an idea of the capabilities of this machine:

[youtubehq]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXOZEbfuz4M[/youtubehq]

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I don't think a "cleaning" would ever decrease the value of a machine so I would always clean it. I am always amazed at the number of unusual machines that show up at Union and are dirty or in some way not ready to sell. I'm not talking about project machines that many of us buy for resale. I remember looking at a mahogany Vic M that was being sold without some incidental parts like a horn, elbow, and crank and the cabinet was dirty. I like to be proud of anything that is on my table for sale so you can bet that machine would be complete and looking as good as possible. Jerry Blais
Last edited by Jerry B. on Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

scooter wrote:Interestingly, I found a similar model on e-bay. I've not seen one of these before, do they sound good with that type of horn?
The main problem with these Victors is the #4 soundbox which has pot metal issues.I have one, it sounds pretty good but not remarkable- what you were buying was mainly an up to date cabinet and tone arm. My HMV 109 looks much more old fashioned but outperforms it easily.

I think Victor had very little interest in selling table models in the Orthophonic era, there was more profit in selling the lowest range of floor models.

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

scooter wrote:Interestingly, I found a similar model on e-bay. I've not seen one of these before, do they sound good with that type of horn?
The 1-70 was the lowest priced Orthophonic model sold. Although Victor classified it as an orthophonic, it did not avail itself of the advances that the orthophonic technology brought.

I have a 1-70 with a Victor 2 repro. It has a very good sound for such a small machine, much cleaner than the traditional Victrola table tops.

They are nice machines and somewhat desirable as there were not as many made as the other models.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

scooter wrote:Interestingly, I found a similar model on e-bay.
Scooter,

Yours is a better find than the junker that I posted, although I’d posted it basically as a comment about items before attempting to sell them. I wonder how much the reserve is—it doesn’t seem like any of the bidders want it enough to meet it.

— MordEth

[hr][/hr]
eBay Item #290309175897

Victor Victrola Table Model VV1-70 Orthophonic Era

Current bid: US $56.55 (5 bids, reserve not met)
Shipping: US $35.00
Item location: "Deep In The Heart Of Texas", United States
End time: Apr-16-09 17:15:16 PDT (2 days 14 hours)
Seller: rkg44 (5262)

Here is a rare Victor VV1-70 table model Victrola with № 4 sound box. It’s in good original shape with original finish which is in fair condition—it has scuffs and scratches, mostly there. The cabinet is in good shape, no bad veneer or chips out of the veneer. Needs grille cloth. Plays great, great sound—loud and clear. Motor is strong, rumbles some. weight 30 lbs unboxed. Postage includes insurance.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

scooter
Victor O

Post by scooter »

It's up to $100 with a day to go but the reserve is still not met. Not sure what the value is on this but not the deal I'd be looking for. It's interesting to watch anyway.
Scott

scooter
Victor O

Post by scooter »

Good Lord, these things are everywhere now. Here's another.
http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-rca-victor- ... 240%3A1318

Pardon me if this is a common machine, but I wasn't familiar with it and see three this week...
Scott