ASBESTOS in Edison Blue Amberol's plaster core ?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
max_phenol
Victor O

Re: ASBESTOS in Edison Blue Amberol's plaster core ?

Post by max_phenol »

JerryVan wrote:Why couldn't you just ream several cylinders that span the 16 years of production that you're concerned with, collect up the dust from all 16 and mix them together, then just have one test done?

1. You won't destroy any cylinders.
2. If you get a negative test, then good enough. If you get a positive, who cares if it came from one, three or all of the cylinders? Since most of us are not real savvy on what cylinder was made in what year anyway, it would simply be best to know to use caution reaming all BA's.
To be honest, that is a brilliant suggestion. Why didn't anybody (including me) had this idea before? And you are totally right, if the mixture includes asbestos it will proof that we have to be careful with all BA's. If not, it is more or less sure that there's no special care needed when reaming them. I will see if I find ("reamable") BA's of as many years as possible in my collection ... probably you will never know for certain in which year a re-release of an early catalogue number was produced, so it will be almost impossible to know for sure what exactly is in the final mixture of plaster core dust. But it will give us an idea. Nevertheless, anyone who likes to help me paying the $130 bill for the test, is welcome to send a few $. :)

Thanks, Helmut

SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Post by SonnyPhono »

Oops...let me apologize for the delay in posting my results! When this thread was started back in 2011, I took three BA's and had them tested. I am almost positive that I posted the results when I received them way back then. However, I didn't realize until reading this thread tonight that apparently I didn't.

I had three cylinders tested which consisted of a flat top BA in the low 1500's, one from around 1918 in the mid 3000 range and one from around 1925 being just under 5000. The results for all three came back as negative for any trace of asbestos. I will scan the printed results I was given and post them on this thread. (Which I could of sworn I did back when I had the tests done, but apparently not.)

Sorry again for the confusion but feel free to ream away!

max_phenol
Victor O

Post by max_phenol »

SonnyPhono wrote:Oops...let me apologize for the delay in posting my results! When this thread was started back in 2011, I took three BA's and had them tested. I am almost positive that I posted the results when I received them way back then. However, I didn't realize until reading this thread tonight that apparently I didn't.

I had three cylinders tested which consisted of a flat top BA in the low 1500's, one from around 1918 in the mid 3000 range and one from around 1925 being just under 5000. The results for all three came back as negative for any trace of asbestos. I will scan the printed results I was given and post them on this thread. (Which I could of sworn I did back when I had the tests done, but apparently not.)

Actually I asked you some weeks ago what the results of your test were (by PM or email, I don't remember). Perhaps you didn't get this. Anyway, great that you got three BA's tested and that the results are negative. It would be really great if you'd post the printed results here. If the files are too large to post in high resolution, can you please email them to me. Many thanks!

Although this is very good news, I will not cancel the plan to ream several BA's of various years and get the dust tested on asbestos as well. As I will do this outside, it has to be a bit warmer weather first. So, don't expect any results from me before spring/summer.

edisonrestorer64
Victor II

Post by edisonrestorer64 »

Well Before You go spending all kinds of moolah, I like to say just a bit of my thoughts on this subject.
I am not sure of that either. I have over 200 differnt ones in my collection but if there were i would still not get rid of them. it is a mattter of fact we love our music and well I googled the posted question here's what I found. Links are below hope this helps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Amberol_Records

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plaster_of_paris
Hello Check out My you tube channel of Recently restored Phonographs and enjoy
Thanks

New You Tube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrRadioman64

edisonrestorer64
Victor II

Post by edisonrestorer64 »

I Posted fair results o0n my awnser Quote see last page of this for links to informaion on this particular question .
About Blue amberols
max_phenol wrote:
SonnyPhono wrote:Oops...let me apologize for the delay in posting my results! When this thread was started back in 2011, I took three BA's and had them tested. I am almost positive that I posted the results when I received them way back then. However, I didn't realize until reading this thread tonight that apparently I didn't.

Actually I asked you some weeks ago what the results of your test were (by PM or email, I don't remember). Perhaps you didn't get this. Anyway, great that you got three BA's tested and that the results are negative. It would be really great if you'd post the printed results here. If the files are too large to post in high resolution, can you please email them to me. Many thanks!

Although this is very good news, I will not cancel the plan to ream several BA's of various years and get the dust tested on asbestos as well. As I will do this outside, it has to be a bit warmer weather first. So, don't expect any results from me before spring/summer.
Hello Check out My you tube channel of Recently restored Phonographs and enjoy
Thanks

New You Tube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrRadioman64

max_phenol
Victor O

Post by max_phenol »

Even I would not sell my BA's if the test results proof that the plaster core has asbestos in it. As long as the plaster doesn't get damaged - especially if no dust is made of it (= reamed) - and then inhaled, there is no risk with them. But (!!!) I would be VERY careful if I would need to ream a BA in that case, like doing it only outside, wearing good protection to not inhale the dust etc. And that's the point in the entire asbestos question - to know for sure if there is a risk in inhaling BA's dust when reaming them.

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

So... the Wikipedia articles don't even come close to answering the question. It only goes as far as stating that sometimes asbestos can be an ingredient in plaster of Paris, but not necessarily. So, we are back at square one after all this discussion. The bigger problem is: if Blue Amberols have asbestos in their cores, anything else made of plaster of Paris, those little Nipper statues for example could also. So then what? Take it all to a hazmat center for proper burial? How far is anyone willing to go with that? I agree that if there is that much concern over this issue, someone needs to have core samples analyzed so there can be a definitive answer.
I have reamed many cylinders, usually outside, after which I blow the dust out with compressed air and finally wipe out the inside with a very lightly dampened cloth. I put them back in the cabinet and don't worry about it. I don't worry about the asbestos I come across, because my encounters with it have always been rare and in small amounts.

Jim

phonoman-antique
Victor O

Post by phonoman-antique »

I applaud the fellow who is going to do at least a couple of tests.
These records are always sheading dust.If it has asbestos in it
that would be of concern.Looking forward to see his results of the tests.
My instinct is that there is no asbestos.Because the plaster is so weak.
Asbestos would make the composition much harder.Some records do seem to
have a much harder plaster and those may have it.So to the fellow doing the test
try a record with hard surface.And more gray color.
Cost of asbestos analysis is cheaper than you might think:

http://www.nextag.com/asbestos-test-hom ... tores-html

max_phenol
Victor O

Post by max_phenol »

phonoman-antique wrote:....
Cost of asbestos analysis is cheaper than you might think:

http://www.nextag.com/asbestos-test-hom ... tores-html
I certainly will ream as many different BA's as I can including those with "different" core.

Thanks for the link, but
a) there's additional $30 for the test result itself
b) you don't know if the lab is reliable or not if it offers tests that cheap
c) I need to find a lab in Germany/Europe that is reliable and not too expensive

Helmut

Player-Tone
Victor II

Post by Player-Tone »

I never thought of asbestos being in plaster! :shock: Good thing I did a search on possible toxic materials in Blue Amberols!

Have any answers surfaced over the last month on this question? I still have 30 Blue Amberols to ream out, but am holding off until the tests are done.

-I was also wondering if asbestos fibers were ever used to reinforce cardboard, such as the cylinder tubes? Just looking at my cylinder tubes makes dust poof off, I sure hope there are no asbestos fibers in it! :?
-Mike