ASBESTOS in Edison Blue Amberol's plaster core ?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
phonojim
Victor IV

Re: ASBESTOS in Edison Blue Amberol's plaster core ?

Post by phonojim »

Asbestos fibers, or other types of fiber (horsehair was commonly used) do not make plaster stronger, they bind it together to make it into a more solid mass. I doubt that it was used in making cardboard because the materials used are already fibrous (wood pulp, straw , etc.).
As for my own collection, I'm not worried about the issue.

Jim

max_phenol
Victor O

Post by max_phenol »

I like to bring back this topic, as I now have the chance to get material tested for asbestos.

Actually I do not have many damaged Blue Amberol cylinders myself - perhaps 2 or 3 - but would need to have a few more to get several production times tested. Would anyone of you kindly send me his heavily damaged ones, so I can use those for the material test too?

Please contact me thorugh email for the postal address. Thanks a lot!

Oh, and of course I will post the results here afterwards.

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

This subject has been brought up quite a few times, and quite a few labratory tests have been done in recent years. It was found that Blue Amberols (BA's) tested NEGATIVE for Asbestos every time. Asbestos back in the day was mainly used in materials that contained or dispersed heat such as Steam Piping, Piping on ships (especially Military Ships), Furnaces, Ovens, and the worst abuser of all...Old Ceilings and Old Ceiling tiles. Some more Modern uses include lots of Pre-2000 Brake Pads and Brake Shoes for your car also used to contain Asbestos, but since some Auto Mechanics started coming down with Mesothelioma no more...It has been banned from use except for some extreme Commercial uses today where warnings are posted (MDSS's)- Material Data Safety Sheets.

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer
Last edited by NEFaurora on Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

I just reamed out six cylinders inside the house. In the old days they did not know about the hazards in the material and used it as filler in some products. I know it was used in floor tile for many many years. I do not believe here is that much in the filler in the cylinders but only a test will show. What worries me is it gets in the air when we ream them out and get in the air. Tom B

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

tomb wrote:... but only a test will show. Tom B
Tom,

From the posting just above yours, "...quite a few laboratory tests have been done in recent years It was found that Blue Amberols (BA's) tested NEGATIVE for Asbestos every time."

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

I should continue and go on to say.... that all the info above about Blue Amberols "NOT" containing Asbestos has been re-interated from older posts and older articles. I believe it to be absolutely TRUE, but I myself did not conduct any of these tests and cannot personally vouch for any of their test results.. As with any unknown 80+ year old item out of a garage or basement, Certain precautions should always be taken. A cheap Dust Mask would never hurt while reaming...or, if you are reaming... Try not to breathe...and just turn your head in another direction.. That's what I do.. It always helps!

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Asbestos or not, who would breathe plaster dust anyway? Besides, just how vigorously are you guys reaming these things anyhow? Last thing I would worry about. I'd be more concerned about dropping a Triumph on my foot.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Not to mention that most cases of Mesothelioma occur in people who have had prolonged contact with Asbestos on an industrial level. Brief exposure to household asbestos has a very small risk level, and almost none when it is fixed in a cement, etc. As with any harmful substance, care should be taken when handling it. Asbestos is unmatched by any material in many applications, such as steam pipe insulation. When people pay thousands of dollars to rip it out of their homes where it has been undisturbed for 60-100 years just because they think it will creep upstairs and give them cancer in the middle of the night, I can't help but to roll my eyes. Use common sense, and don't buy into the hype created by the companies charging ungodly sums for abatement. Is it dangerous? Sure. Should it be eradicated from the earth? No. Cigarettes kill more people than Asbestos.