Another Parlophone question!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Another Parlophone question!

Post by Steve »

Maybe Starkton is best qualified to answer this question but does anyone know if all Parlophone horn machines have the same identical goose-neck? I know tone-arms vary in length, as do back-brackets but in a similar way to soundboxes (and the G & T approach) it doesn't make sense to me to produce too many variations of a part like the goose-neck if one size can fit all. Are they all the same so if I wanted to change the goose-neck on my Olympia 75, any other Parlophone goose-neck would fit?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve
Victor VI

Re: Another Parlophone question!

Post by Steve »

I wonder how long Parlophone machines have been British? :roll:

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The Transoceanic Trading Company of Holland took over some of the Lindstrom factories in March 1920, and on 30th August 1923 it formed the Parlophone Co.Ltd in London.

UK Columbia acquired control of Lindstrom and it's Dutch associate Transoceanic on 2nd September 1925, including the Parlophone trademark.

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

Steve wrote:Maybe Starkton is best qualified to answer this question but does anyone know if all Parlophone horn machines have the same identical goose-neck?
Lindström worked on a cost-saving modular principle, that is, there were only a few sizes of tonearms, motors and sound boxes. Only the cases varied widely. I have no doubt that Lindström gramophones, brand name "Parlophone," have identical goose-necks (with the exception of the smallest models, perhaps).

Of course this is a German gramophone. Therefore it doesn't fit into the UK section.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Of course this is a German gramophone. Therefore it doesn't fit into the UK section.
Precisely my point, Starkton, precisely! ;)

I do wonder sometimes whether all non-US made items are perceived as being "foreign" together and the "UK" section of this forum is viewed now as being the ideal dumping ground for all such topics relating to such items which are of little interest to the majority of those collectors from within the USA?

Thank you for your response anyway. I was thinking the same thing. It wouldn't make much sense to make different sized goose-necks, if you are manufacturing different length tone-arms.

Your response is very useful to me as I might now hunt down a better condition goose-neck for my Parlophone machine.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Steve wrote:
Precisely my point, Starkton, precisely! ;)

I do wonder sometimes whether all non-US made items are perceived as being "foreign" together and the "UK" section of this forum is viewed now as being the ideal dumping ground for all such topics relating to such items which are of little interest to the majority of those collectors from within the USA?

Thank you for your response anyway. I was thinking the same thing. It wouldn't make much sense to make different sized goose-necks, if you are manufacturing different length tone-arms.

Your response is very useful to me as I might now hunt down a better condition goose-neck for my Parlophone machine.
Okay, okay, I moved it. Someone reported that the thread should be put into the UK machines forum and I (mistakenly) didn't take the time to determine if it was the appropriate action. All you had to do was ask ;)

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

On the other hand, maybe it would make sense to rename the UK Machines section into Non-US Machines or European Machines? Just a thought...
Andreas

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Okay, okay, I moved it. Someone reported that the thread should be put into the UK machines forum and I (mistakenly) didn't take the time to determine if it was the appropriate action. All you had to do was ask
Thank you, that's a smart move you made here! You know you can always ask me if you're in any doubt! ;) :lol:
On the other hand, maybe it would make sense to rename the UK Machines section into Non-US Machines or European Machines? Just a thought...
Andreas
Didn't Starkton suggest that this would be more appropriate at the beginning? I, for one, believe that this would be a better idea.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

alang wrote:On the other hand, maybe it would make sense to rename the UK Machines section into Non-US Machines or European Machines? Just a thought...
Andreas
The vast majority of machines that are discussed on this forum are either US-made machines, or UK-made machines. If it's not a British machine, it should be placed in the general machine forum.
Steve wrote:I do wonder sometimes whether all non-US made items are perceived as being "foreign" together and the "UK" section of this forum is viewed now as being the ideal dumping ground for all such topics relating to such items which are of little interest to the majority of those collectors from within the USA?
I would disagree with you. Besides this thread (which I admitted to erroneously moving and subsequently fixed), I don't believe there are any topics in the UK Forum that aren't about UK machines. If there are, please point them out and I will file them accordingly.