Follow the restoration of an Edison "MANHATTAN" coin op

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MicaMonster
Victor III
Personal Text: Never Settled

Follow the restoration of an Edison "MANHATTAN" coin op

Post by MicaMonster »

Atop its slender cast iron legs, this machine could certainly make the wait at the ferry terminal a little less boring and mediocre. 1c per play, for a full two minutes of musical escape. The Manhattan Phonograph Co ingeniously converted an Edison Standard to coin-operation using very direct and substantial methods of mechanical wizardry. This machine was built to play records for a lifetime. What you see here is an all original machine, virgin. Stay tuned for the next few weeks and watch it change from a basement find, into a "Manhattan" celebrity.

The cabinet, less its cast iron legs. The original bolts were lost in time, but I was able to locate unplated steel carriage bolts from a supply company called Blacksmith Bolt, which will be ideal replacements. The finish is mostly original, with a few touch-ups in the shellac evident. The sign, just staring at it, makes me wish I was born in 1885, so I could experience this machine first hand in its original environment.

The top works. The coin flies down the chute, over a magnet (missing) to catch steel slugs, and into a catcher which drops the coin below the level of the bedplate to counterbalance a release lever which starts the governor spinning on the motor. A very well thought out mechanism. The brass front plate acts as a lift for the carriage arm (this model has PAT APL'D FOR stamped on it), and a spring loaded spool on the back of the mechanism returns the carriage to the start position. A beautiful ballet of movement. There are many small changes made to the original Standard mechanism, including the mandrel, which seems to have what looks like gutta percha sleeve on it....possible intended to keep the record from sliding off the mandrel during temperature changes? Even the reproducer has been modified!

Why stop by adding a heavier weight? They added a coil spring as well! The stylus pressure is incredible. I can't see this playing a record more than 300 times before the record wears out! But, we will put the machine through its paces when it is completed.

Under the works, the coin tin, the original crank (which needs a handle....the original handle shrunk and split into 4 pieces, in part to rust expansion on the stem). Notice that the coin tin has accommodation for a padlock.

The main mechanism under the bedplate. I am impressed by how well thought out this all is. It was made for heavy duty service. Comparing this to a Graphophone coin-op which is dependent on several laws of physics playing in harmonic balance to function reliably, this machine is built to accept coins and play cylinders on shaky uneven floors, or even on a steamship heading to Yonkers.....in rough tide.

Check back often for updates!
-Antique Phonograph Reproducer Restorer-
http://www.EdisonDiamondDisc.com
Taming Orthophonics Daily!

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Re: Follow the restoration of an Edison "MANHATTAN" coin op

Post by FloridaClay »

Looking forward to what comes next.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

My favorite coin-op. I'm very much looking forward to watching this rise from the ashes and regain its full glory!

MicaMonster
Victor III
Personal Text: Never Settled

Post by MicaMonster »

Crank:

As stated previously, the original crank handle broke into many pieces because of wood shrinkage and the expanding rust from the mounting stem. I ground back the peen, pressed out the stem, and replaced both the stem and crank handle.

-Antique Phonograph Reproducer Restorer-
http://www.EdisonDiamondDisc.com
Taming Orthophonics Daily!

STARR-OLA
Victor I
Personal Text: still looking for a chocolate record!

Post by STARR-OLA »

Lovely machine,this is quite exciting! :D

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Amazing find! I can't wait to see more and follow the restoration process.
Thanks
Andreas

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

These postings which let us watch you raise the dead are fascinating. More!

Jim

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

What a cool project! Thanks for sharing with us, Wyatt!

- Martin

Tinkerbell
Victor III

Post by Tinkerbell »

MicaMonster wrote:Atop its slender cast iron legs, this machine could certainly make the wait at the ferry terminal a little less boring and mediocre. 1c per play, for a full two minutes of musical escape. The Manhattan Phonograph Co ingeniously converted an Edison Standard to coin-operation using very direct and substantial methods of mechanical wizardry. This machine was built to play records for a lifetime. What you see here is an all original machine, virgin. Stay tuned for the next few weeks and watch it change from a basement find, into a "Manhattan" celebrity.

The cabinet, less its cast iron legs. The original bolts were lost in time, but I was able to locate unplated steel carriage bolts from a supply company called Blacksmith Bolt, which will be ideal replacements. The finish is mostly original, with a few touch-ups in the shellac evident. The sign, just staring at it, makes me wish I was born in 1885, so I could experience this machine first hand in its original environment.

The top works. The coin flies down the chute, over a magnet (missing) to catch steel slugs, and into a catcher which drops the coin below the level of the bedplate to counterbalance a release lever which starts the governor spinning on the motor. A very well thought out mechanism. The brass front plate acts as a lift for the carriage arm (this model has PAT APL'D FOR stamped on it), and a spring loaded spool on the back of the mechanism returns the carriage to the start position. A beautiful ballet of movement. There are many small changes made to the original Standard mechanism, including the mandrel, which seems to have what looks like gutta percha sleeve on it....possible intended to keep the record from sliding off the mandrel during temperature changes? Even the reproducer has been modified!

Why stop by adding a heavier weight? They added a coil spring as well! The stylus pressure is incredible. I can't see this playing a record more than 300 times before the record wears out! But, we will put the machine through its paces when it is completed.

Under the works, the coin tin, the original crank (which needs a handle....the original handle shrunk and split into 4 pieces, in part to rust expansion on the stem). Notice that the coin tin has accommodation for a padlock.

The main mechanism under the bedplate. I am impressed by how well thought out this all is. It was made for heavy duty service. Comparing this to a Graphophone coin-op which is dependent on several laws of physics playing in harmonic balance to function reliably, this machine is built to accept coins and play cylinders on shaky uneven floors, or even on a steamship heading to Yonkers.....in rough tide.

Check back often for updates!
This is exactly the type of thing I love to see! Looking forward to seeing the transformation from a duckling to a swan! :rose:

Andersun
Victor III

Post by Andersun »

Too bad I couldn't follow it to my house! Very cool.