EMG Conversions

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

EMG Conversions

Post by epigramophone »

Looking again at Frank James' book recently, I was reminded that one of the ways in which EMG weathered the depression years was by convering customers' own cabinet machines of various makes to the EMG acoustic system.

Although I have seen and heard many original EMG machines, I have never seen one of the conversions and wonder whether any have survived.

Has anyone else seen one, or better still, has anyone else got one which they could show us?

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: EMG Conversions

Post by estott »

I think He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named posted one which had been converted from an HMV.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

estott wrote:I think He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named posted one which had been converted from an HMV.

You mean Lord Vo- (oops!) :oops:

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Has anyone else seen one, or better still, has anyone else got one which they could show us?
I used to own the example that estott is referring to. It was formerly an HMV 510 Lumiere Upright Grand before EMG turned it into a Wilson Horn Model. The lid is showing below with hinged flaps open:

http://www.magix-photos.com/permacodeme ... 43C3D6D8CB"

When I sold it it still had the "EMG Exhibition" soundbox attached to the arm (which was correct for it) although this was detached by the next temporary keeper who flogged it on eBay before selling the rest of the machine with a Meltrope III on it! So much for originality.

The main changes brought about by the "conversion" were the new lid, removal of the HMV diaphragm / assembly and attachment of the Wilson/Seymour tone-arm to the u/s of the corner box within the new lid construction. Incidentally, the lid could still be hinged back as they had not removed the HMV long piano hinge and only a small bolt kept the new lid held down. So it was effectively a lid with small openable hinged flaps within a bigger lid that could be opened to reveal the relatively unscathed HMV motor-board - if you forgive them that they cut a square section out so that the motor could be removed without going through the back of the cabinet as was originally the HMV idea! This machine was fitted with an electric motor (lord knows why) for some time as a rheostat was found in the back of the cabinet behind the record compartment. I believe it was a Garrard although my memory may not serve me well.

I have to say though that EMG or not, this machine did not sound very good! It was nowhere near as revealing bold or rich sounding as HMV's own conversion of the 510, the internal horn 511. The latter also had plenty of bass which the Wilson horn was lacking. I suspect the superior HMV tone-arm, the long thin bore swan neck type, together with the better HMV No. 4 might have also helped the 511 to triumph over the Wilson Horn model.

What needs to be remembered though is that machines need to be compared with other contemporary machines from other makers. Back in the mid to late 20's a year was a LONG time in the development of the gramophone. THis conversion although contemporary with the 511 (1927) was really done to improve on a Lumiere that a customer had already acquired. It IS better than a Lumiere and most small internal horn models but it is weak when compared to the contemporary HMV machines, not to mention the slightly later re-entrant models.

In the same way, it is worth adding that it is unfair to compare an HMV 202/3 with an EMG Mark 10B or Expert Senior. When these machines were announced, HMV was making radio-grams and the re-entrants were yesterdays news.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Thankyou Steve, a very interesting conversion but not pretty to look at!

Graham's conversions look good and sound good. I predict that in 80 years time they will still have a 100% survival rate, and I make that prediction safe in the knowledge that none of us (apart perhaps from young Kirtley) will still be around to find out ;) .

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

I have to say I quite liked that machine, I thought it looked quite nice but there's opinions for you!

I must add a compliment to Grahams conversions are the best gramophones to be made since EMG themselves, the dedication he put into each and every one of them is beyond compare!
Although I've never seen a EMG or one of Grahams conversions in person, I really think that graham matched, possibly surpassed EMG.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

I've never quite felt comfortable with this conversion. The tacky workmanship and even that badly etched tonearm sent me the wrong signals. I'd be very surprised if this was converted by EMG and I like surprises. Conclusive proof either way is not going to happen unless the chuckling person who did convert it, owns up.
Steve, you actually owned this, what are your thoughts on it?.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

looking at these pictures posted elsewhere , it looks as though it may be the same machine and parts and as already stated it looks pretty cobbled together

Last edited by soundgen on Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

That has got to be one of the most hideous, impracticle bodges I've ever come across. It's not far off being a Crapophone!

Barry

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Still, I've seen pictures of the undersides of some EMG / Expert cabinets, and they appear to have worked by the motto "What isn't seen doesn't matter"