Ernst von Dohnanyi: Variations on a Nursery Tune

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
beaumonde
Victor III

Ernst von Dohnanyi: Variations on a Nursery Tune

Post by beaumonde »

I just transferred this 1931 recording from a very clean set of pre-War pressings (circle label). This is from RCA-Victor Set M-162. Lawrance Collingswood conducts the London Symphony Orchestra, and the composer plays piano. A single difficult side join may be detected where the eccentric groove was placed unfortunately close to the final soft chord of the side.

Dohnanyi: Variations on a Nursery Tune, Op. 25 (1922)

Here is the second movement of Dohnanyi's Ruralia Hungarica. He conducts same orchestra (this is from side 6 of the set).
Adam

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: Ernst von Dohnányi: Variations on a Nursery Tune

Post by MordEth »

Adam,

I just downloaded it (and was surprised by the file size)—I assume from the length that it’s a 5-side piece? (I’m listening to it currently, but have only gotten through approximately the first 5 minutes.) The transfer so far is excellent.

I cannot say that I was familiar with Ernő Dohnányi (or Ernst von Dohnányi as he normally was credited), but Wikipedia has a fairly thorough article on him, which is more in depth than the Britanica article that I initially found.

If anyone is interested, here are two photos of the composer:

(Ernő Dohnányi, 1905)

(unknown date; it appears to be a later photo)

Thanks for sharing this—I’m grabbing the last side right now. :D

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

beaumonde
Victor III

Re: Ernst von Dohnanyi: Variations on a Nursery Tune

Post by beaumonde »

David, thanks for posting the article link and photos. He was a uniquely handsome man, with a granitic countenance (like Sibelius). He ended his career teaching piano at a University in Florida, and made some stereo recordings for the Everest label (ca. 1960), of Beethoven sonatas and of his own compositions.

I've previously posted (at the old Board) a recording of his orchestral Suite in F Sharp Minor by Frederick Stock and the Chicago Symphony. I should repost my transfer of that here.

The Variations is a tongue-in-cheek piece based on the tune of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star", or "A vou dirai je maman" (I think, my French is non-existent), which Mozart used for his neat little set of piano variations (I've played that one myself).

Yes, the sides each ran to almost 5 minutes (maybe 4 and a half).
Adam

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: Ernst von Dohnanyi: Variations on a Nursery Tune

Post by MordEth »

Adam,

I’ve been meaning to reply to this since I finished listening to both transfers (the evening of my previous post), but it seems I’ve been rather sidetracked lately. :roll:

Apparently you did a good job with your ‘single difficult side join’—despite the fact that you pointed it out when you posted the transfer, I didn’t notice it at all.
beaumonde wrote:I've previously posted (at the old Board) a recording of his orchestral Suite in F Sharp Minor by Frederick Stock and the Chicago Symphony. I should repost my transfer of that here.
You should; I’d be interested to hear it (and still need to catch up on quite a few of the other transfers in this section of the board). I’m sure that I missed out on quite a few good transfers when ProBoards pulled the plug there.
beaumonde wrote:The Variations is a tongue-in-cheek piece based on the tune of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star", or "A vou dirai je maman" (I think, my French is non-existent), which Mozart used for his neat little set of piano variations (I've played that one myself).
The French title of the melody is actually “Ah! Vous dirai-je, Maman”, but you were very close. ;)

Thanks to a few years of French (that I’ve mostly forgotten), I’d have gotten the ‘vous’, but it’s doubtful that I’d have gotten the ‘Ah!’ or the hyphenation. I cheated and referenced the Wikipedia article on it. :D

Apparently Mozart also wrote twelve variations of the same piece, although I have not heard them.

Thanks again for sharing this (and a great deal of other enjoyable music) with us!

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.