Featured Phonograph № 93

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Featured Phonograph № 93

Post by VintageTechnologies »

Featured Phonograph No. 93

I decided to feature my newly acquired Zon-O-Phone "Parlor" model because other pictures on the Internet are too small to reveal much uselful detail. Specific information such as the original price, type of horn or reproducer seems non-existant on the Internet. The cabinet, motor, turntable (and possibly the horn support) are all original. I have not examined many original Zon-O-Phones to decide whether this reproducer is a reasonable facsimile or whether its design is a proper match for this model; I have seen several styles in pictures. Original brass Zon-O-phone horns seen today are usually highly polished compared to this replica horn.

I spiced up the pictures with examples of early Columbia seven inch records; the etched Zon-O-Phone titles simply do not display any better than Berliners.

Make: Zon-O-Phone (Universal Talking Machine Company)
Model: Parlor
Serial #: 28227
Year(s) Made: 1902
Original Cost: $20.00
Case/Cabinet Size (inches): 11 x 12 x 5 ½
Turntable/Mandrel: 7" cast iron
Reproducer/Sound-Box: long throat
Motor: single spring
Horn Dimensions: 9 x 16
Reproduction Parts: reproducer, horn, green felt
Current Value: I paid only $900 due to replica parts

Interesting Facts:

The distinctive rear crank of the "Parlor" couples directly to the massive cast iron bed plate, rather than pass through the cabinet such as on the "Home" model. Despite straight-cut gears, this motor runs reasonably quiet!

Cranking from the rear is decidedly more awkward than cranking from the side. The little spring plays through a seven inch record just fine, but will not complete a ten inch record.

Height from the tabletop to the record is seven inches.

The reproducer's mica diaphragm is sandwiched between a rubber gasket on the backside and a split retaining ring on the front. There is no groove to hold the ring in place and no way to adjust pressure against the diaphragm. In spite of that, it plays reasonably well, but not as well as a Victor Exhibition reproducer.

The pictures below are large - clicking on them may enable your web browser to zoom in to reveal much greater detail.
Attachments
Front view showing "Parlor" decal
Front view showing "Parlor" decal
Rear view showing Zon-O-Phone decal
Rear view showing Zon-O-Phone decal
Side view of Zon-O-Phone "Parlor"
Side view of Zon-O-Phone "Parlor"
Last edited by VintageTechnologies on Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: Featured Phonograph No. 93

Post by alang »

Congratulations, this is a very nice machine. Thank you very much for sharing such great pictures. May I ask what this little piece of cardboard or paper at the brake is for? Would it be possible to see a better picture of the brake mechanism, and maybe also some pictures of the motor?

Thanks again for sharing a featured phonograph.
Andreas

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Re: Featured Phonograph No. 93

The piece of paper is a temporary shim to stop the platter from turning until I can glue a piece of leather to the brake. I also need to make one other minor repair - the wood screws that fastened the bed plate to the cabinet are missing and the wood they screwed into is stripped. No big deal, once I find the time.

I will have to take pictures of the mechanism, bed plate and motor another day.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Featured Phonograph № 93

Post by phonogfp »

Zonophones are great machines - Congratulations! :)

Your "Parlor" dates from 1902 or 1903, and originally sold for $20.00. It was the least expensive model that was equipped with the V Concert sound box, which at the time was the best offered by the company.

I'm curious about your brake, making contact on the outer rim of the turntable. Is there another, smaller concentric rim cast beneath the turntable? Probably not, but as I say, I'm curious...

Thanks for posting your Zonophone!

George P.

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Thanks for the interest and comments so far. I have taken more pictures as requested. I had visited a website called the "ZON-O-PHONE Registry Project" at http://www.zonober.com/zono/machines.htm that indicated the "Parlor" model was introduced in 1901. Possibly it was later as suggested, but all opinions and documentation are welcome for our consideration. The Internet is a boon for scholarly research!

The lever brake which starts and stops the patter presses against the exterior rim of the platter, as seen in the picture. I have not cleaned up the motor yet, so it looks a bit grungy. These pictures are high resolution and can be viewed at a much higher magnification by clicking on them. Enjoy!
Attachments
Zon-O-Phone "Parlor" bedplate with platter removed
Zon-O-Phone "Parlor" bedplate with platter removed
Zon-O-Phone "Parlor" motor
Zon-O-Phone "Parlor" motor, platter and crank
Zon-O-Phone "Parlor" motor, platter and crank

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Thank you so much for posting the additional pictures. I have never seen a brake mechanism like that. Seems to function completely opposite to other brakes of the time where the spring engages the brake, while here the spring releases it. The motor looks a bit unconventional, but seems very well built. Also totally different from later Zon-o-phone motors. Interesting how they attached the governor weights.
Thanks again
Andreas

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Thanks for the additional photos. Your "Parlor" is the third pattern bedplate with that crazy brake - and perfectly legitimate. The support arm and crank are original, and that's a blessing because these parts are often separated from the machines and lost.

As for the date of the machine, the Internet can indeed be a blessing for research, but one should also be wary of what's found out there too! ;) Zonophones were first sold by the National Gramophone Corporation, and this firm operated until it applied for a voluntary dissolution in September 1901. The Universal Talking Machine Company, deprived of its sales agent (National Gramophone Corp.), was forced into a sale of assets on October 28, 1901. Production ceased while the company reorganized. In December 1901, the Universal Talking Machine Manufacturing Company was organized and production of new Zonophones (including the "Parlor") began in early 1902. Your machine carries the U.T.M.M.Co. decal, so it's highly unlikely that it's earlier than 1902. The "Parlor" was a popular model; probably manufactured well into 1903. I'm not aware of any serial number research on Zonophone, so I can't offer anything more specific as to dating.

By the way, the motor of your "Parlor" is the standard Zonophone motor supplied with most of the early line (A/B/C/D). The only difference between these early models were the cabinets and horns.

Enjoy your Zonophone! :)

George P.

Patty
Victor Jr

Post by Patty »

A wonderful instrument in such beautiful condition! Thank you for sharing these pics!:D