Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Paal1994
Victor II

Featured Phonograph № 18

Post by Paal1994 »

Make: Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
Model: Amberola 30
Serial: # SM - - 59120
Year(s) Made: 1915-1925 (offered until 1929)
Original Cost: $30
Case/Cabinet Size: Table top, 12.75"H, 12.5"W, 16"D, Golden oak cabinet
Turntable/Mandrel: Mandrel 4¾" long
Reproducer/Sound-Box: Diamond Model C
Motor: Single Spring
Horn Dimensions: 6"t x 8"w
Reproduction Parts: None
Current Value: ?
Interesting Facts: The cheapest and best selling of three cylinder machines introduced by Edison in 1915 (Amberola 30-50-75). Instead of a belt, this machine is driven by a worm gear. Production stopped in 1925 but it was offered until Edison closed down his record and phonograph division in 1929.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_29t0Zht7fs[/youtube]
Attachments
Phono 002.JPG
Phono 004.JPG
Phono 005.JPG
Phono 006.JPG
Phono 007.JPG
Phono 008.JPG

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Featured Phonograph № 18

Post by gramophoneshane »

That's a really nice original 30 Paal. It's a fairly early one too, with the speed control on top of the gear cover- although the earliest ones had a nickel plated reproducer.
You were lucky to get the original grille with the machine. That seems to be something of a rarity these days.
It's easy to see why this was such a successful model. I love them, and the sound quality you get from that little horn still amazes me.

Did you find it in the wild, online or get it from a collector?
It's obviously lived the good life, and has been loved & looked after, unlike many.
Thanks for sharing it with us :)

BTW: Does anyone know an approximate timeline for when the reproducer was changed from nickel to black, and when the ID tag was moved from the horn compartment to the bedplate?

Paal1994
Victor II

Post by Paal1994 »

Shane,

I belive this one is from 1916 or 1917. I can't remember which of the years it was.
I also love the 30. And it is indeed great sound quality for such a little horn.

I got it at http://www.phonophan.com which is an excellent website if you want to buy a phonograph. They restore many of the phonographs they get there but mine was only overhauled and all parts are original on the machine.

Paal.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Paal,

Thanks for sharing your Amberola 30 with us—they’re nice little machines. (And of course, I’ve gotten to enjoy quite a few of your videos on YouTube, featuring cylinders played on it.)

Ironically, early this morning (before I opted to get some sleep) I was discussing this model and the 50.

The oak cabinet is very handsome, and yours appears to be in excellent condition.

I imagine you get a lot of use out of it. :D

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

That's a good Amberola 30, Paal. I've listened to all your Youtube videos featuring the machine and look forward to additional uploads. The grille cloth is quite distinctive.

:squirrel:

Rocky

Paal1994
Victor II

Post by Paal1994 »

David,

I love the 30. It's such an elegant little machine and it's incredibly loud and clear. I use it almost every day.

Rocky,

I'm so glad you enjoy my YouTube videos. The Amberola is as said above, a great little machine and I will upload more as soon as I get the time.

Paal.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Paal,

I see you have a nice Georgia Melodians tune, "Spanish Shawl" teed up and ready to play. It's a great tune for demonstrating the capabilities of your machine and shows your good taste in music. ;)

Cheers,
Valecnik

Paal1994
Victor II

Post by Paal1994 »

Valecnik wrote:Paal,

I see you have a nice Georgia Melodians tune, "Spanish Shawl" teed up and ready to play. It's a great tune for demonstrating the capabilities of your machine and shows your good taste in music. ;)

Cheers,
Valecnik
"Spanish Shawl" is a great tune. Since it's a 1926 recording of the Georgia Melodians, I didn't expect so much out of it.
Their 1924 recordings are better.
By 1926 it was another band using the same name. But when I played it, it was fantastic, absolutely one of their best 1926 recordings.

Paal.

richardh

Post by richardh »

Paal, thats a great machine. I have to say of all the types of materials used for cabinets...oak is always my favourite. As others have commented you sure get good sound from what appears to be a small horn. Your you tube videos are also very polished and present the machine very well. Thanks for sharing it.

Regards

RJ 8-)

Paal1994
Victor II

Post by Paal1994 »

richardh wrote:Paal, thats a great machine. I have to say of all the types of materials used for cabinets...oak is always my favourite. As others have commented you sure get good sound from what appears to be a small horn. Your you tube videos are also very polished and present the machine very well. Thanks for sharing it.

Regards

RJ 8-)
Thank you Richard!
Oak is my favorite material to cabinets too. I'm glad you liked my YouTube videos. Not very professional, but I think they manage to demonstrate the machine very good.

Paal.