Featured Phonograph № 99 - Algraphone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Orchorsol
Victor IV

Featured Phonograph № 99 - Algraphone

Post by Orchorsol »

Following a request from Chunny on another thread - here is the Algraphone I picked up cheaply the other day. It's a very basic model and in poor condition, but it's all there and it works! The lid and the shelf are badly damaged from having things stored on them over many years, the metalwork is in poor shape (especially the winding handle) and the handle and its decorative escutcheon for the pull-out horn deflector are broken - but it works very well! I did a quick re-gasket on the soundbox last night and have yet to lubricate the motor.

Edit - thanks Andreas for asking me to convert this thread to a Featured Phonograph one as follows:

Make: Algraphone (Alfred Graham Ltd)
Model: A204
Serial #: 1161
Year(s) Made: probably circa 1923
Original Cost: unknown
Case/Cabinet Size: 905 h x 415 w x 488mm d
Turntable/Mandrel:
Reproducer/Sound-Box: Sonat (original fitment)
Motor:
Horn Dimensions: 263 x 142mm
Reproduction Parts: none
Current Value: unknown
Interesting Facts: Alfred Graham Ltd are reputed to have made all their own parts. A number of unusual features can be seen in the photos including the horn deflector, brake, tonearm rest, speed markings, needle bar pivot mounting, etc. An Algraphone came 5th in the Gramophone Magazine trials in 1924.
Attachments
IMG_2497.JPG
IMG_2498.JPG
IMG_2499.JPG
IMG_2500.JPG
IMG_2502.JPG
Last edited by Orchorsol on Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Re: Algraphone

Post by Orchorsol »

More photos including the soundbox and ivorine needle protractor (very nice to have survived).
Attachments
IMG_2501.JPG
IMG_2503.JPG
IMG_2504.JPG
IMG_2505.JPG
IMG_2506.JPG
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

A very nice find and well worth the effort of restoration.

I particularly like the "Advance/Retard" control. Do remember to retard it before winding the machine, otherwise the handle may kick back ;) .

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

epigramophone wrote:A very nice find and well worth the effort of restoration.

I particularly like the "Advance/Retard" control. Do remember to retard it before winding the machine, otherwise the handle may kick back ;) .
It's all wrong! The brake is where the throttle should be! :lol:

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Very nice. I like the Algraphones. It's the same model as one of mine but the motor is totally different.
Here's mine.
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (18.97 KiB) Viewed 4251 times
0.JPG
0.JPG (32.37 KiB) Viewed 4251 times

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

epigramophone wrote:A very nice find and well worth the effort of restoration.

The "Advance/Retard" tickled me too! I would think this particular machine is unlikely to break any thumbs, touch wood...
chunnybh wrote:Very nice. I like the Algraphones. It's the same model as one of mine but the motor is totally different.
Here's mine.
Fascinating Chunny, exactly the same machine but with those differences! What's the serial number of yours? I've added mine in the first post above.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Re: Featured Phonograph № 99 - Algraphone

Post by chunnybh »

No serial number plate on mine . The motor is a Graham, same as the soundbox.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I believe the machine owned by Orchorsol might have been re-motored. Algraphones were unique in having their own motors and turntables as shown in the example owned by Chunny which is completely original in every way. The turntable, brake and speed control in the original pictures look all wrong to me and don't "fit" the rest of the machine very well. They certainly look wrong. Were Algraphones sold off cheaply when production ceased? If so could the example at the top be a machine that was supplied with a "foreign" motor in order to complete it at the end of a production run? Who knows but most collectors interested in Algraphone (are there more than 4 of us including myself and Chunny?!!) will expect the classic Algraphone motor and turntable combination as seen in Chunny's machine.

Algraphone made the very best machines in the early 1920's. Nothing from HMV could compete really. I think it's sad that so little is really known or documented about these worthy contributors to the art of the gramophone. Between all the evidence and literature that exists on early G & T / HMV and the late-comers like EMG, there is a gaping void.

chunnybh
Victor III

Post by chunnybh »

I think it's sad that so little is really known or documented about these worthy contributors to the art of the gramophone
Sad indeed. They really were masters. The idea of Omni-Directional sound from a horned gramophone was way ahead of it's time.
here are a few pinched pictures from the WWWeb. What a varied selection they produced.
Attachments
default.jpeg
default.jpeg (11.52 KiB) Viewed 4165 times
d4810745r.jpg
d4810745r.jpg (33 KiB) Viewed 4165 times
algraphone_open_large.jpeg
algraphone_open_large.jpeg (142.01 KiB) Viewed 4165 times
Algraphone_0390.jpg
Algraphone_0390.jpg (54.07 KiB) Viewed 4165 times
2232254_1_l.jpg
00i0i_9968h7NjBY5_600x450.jpg
00i0i_9968h7NjBY5_600x450.jpg (28.74 KiB) Viewed 4165 times

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Steve wrote:I believe the machine owned by Orchorsol might have been re-motored. Algraphones were unique in having their own motors and turntables as shown in the example owned by Chunny which is completely original in every way. The turntable, brake and speed control in the original pictures look all wrong to me and don't "fit" the rest of the machine very well. They certainly look wrong. Were Algraphones sold off cheaply when production ceased? If so could the example at the top be a machine that was supplied with a "foreign" motor in order to complete it at the end of a production run?
Sure enough - to my surprise, literally a foreign motor! But there's no evidence of it ever having been any different. There are no other holes in the motorboard (which is not separate from the tonearm mounting etc, i.e. one piece front to back), the winding hole has not been moved, and the tracking is about right. I'm with your latter theory, Steve, but who knows!
Attachments
IMG_2511.JPG
IMG_2512.JPG
IMG_2513.JPG
IMG_2514.JPG