The Bands That Matter

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
richardh

The Bands That Matter

Post by richardh »

Here is an unusual disk - this is the four top UK dance bands all playing together for 4 great songs. The bands are Ambrose & his Orchestra, Lew Stone, Jack Hylton and Roy Fox.

The songs are: Don't blame me; Isn't it heavenly, Whispering (intro); Lazybones; When day is done (intro) and Let's call it a day.

The Bands That Matter - side A

The Bands That Matter - side B

RJ 8-)

WDC
Victor IV

Re: The Bands That Matter

Post by WDC »

Very cool band gathering. I especially like the B side. Great transfer work, Richard! :)

Paal1994
Victor II

Post by Paal1994 »

Richard,

This is a great record! I didn't knew it existed. I don't think I have heard four dance bands play together before.
I love all of the four bands, (Especially Jack Hylton and Ambrose) I never thought or had in mind that I would hear all of these four together. Thanks for posting it!

Paal.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Yes, thank you Richard. It certainly is an unusual & entertaining disc.
What label is it on?
I've been trying to think what label all 4 bands had contracts with during the same period.
Not knowing much about Lew Stone or Roy Fox, I'm guessing it's either Decca or HMV.

richardh

Post by richardh »

Yes this is the only example I have come across of four "big" bands recording together. So i'm not sure if the experiment was ever repeated...but they sure made this a knock out disk. I have two copies both of which have significant wear so apologies for the slight distortion to the sound.

Shane,

this was issued on a Decca disk under ref number F3723. At the time the disk was issued (between 1933 and 1934) Jack Hylton, Roy Fox and Lew Stone all recorded for Decca. The label of the disk also makes the following statement "...and by special arrangement with Brunswick Ambrose". This is interesting as by 1933 Ambrose had left HMV and signed with Brunswick and from early in 1933 to the summer of 1934 all of Ambroses records were issued on the Brunswick label in the UK. There was close association between Brunswick and Decca and so I suppose if movie studios of the period could lend out their stars why not recording artists! From the summer of 1934 all Ambrose's output appeared on Decca. What ever the story, it is an unusual arrangement and I'm not aware of it happening with any other band or recording artist. Is anyone else?

RJ 8-)

Emidicta
Victor Jr

Post by Emidicta »

I've got something similar on HMV (C 2887); it's called "World's six best dance bands playing eight hits of 1936" and features the orchestras of Benny Goodman (Goody, goody; These foolish things), Roy Fox (It's a sin to tell a lie; You), Jack Hylton (The music goes 'round and around), Tommy Dorsey (Alone), Fletcher Henderson (Shoe, shine boy [sic!]) and Ray Noble (The touch of your lips). Each song and band is announced by John Watt (whoever that may be).

I always wondered how these were recorded. Did they have a giant studio with all the bands in it or did they use some kind of re-recording/ dubbing process?

richardh

Post by richardh »

Interesting to hear that there are other examples of these multiple band disks. Does the label of yours indicate whether it is all the bands playing on each song or each band playing just their own song? My Decca one states that it is the massed bands playing the songs.....now for four bands all playing together - thats a heck of a lot of instuments!

Any chance you could do a transfer of your disk. I'd love to hear it.

RJ 8-)

Emidicta
Victor Jr

Post by Emidicta »

No, these only play their respective songs - not together. Now, that would have been something to hear, I'm sure!

I've already transferred it, but unfortunately, my computer seems to have chewed up the end of side 1, so I'll have to redo it (hopefully on Thursday). It's a really great record for people with short attention span - we get four tunes in just over four minutes! And then another four!

Emidicta
Victor Jr

Post by Emidicta »

I've uploaded the record to YT now:

Part 1:[youtubehq]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk8RuhrVIVQ[/youtubehq]
Part 2:[youtubehq]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqY6hsih_fE[/youtubehq]

Enjoy!

richardh

Post by richardh »

Now those are two excellent sides. Thanks for posting them here. I've never seen a copy of this disk so it is great to be able to hear it.

Some interesting songs on there. Good, goody by Benny Goodman has been on my wish list for a while now. I have seen a copy of it but bidding on ebay went beyond my range! I also see "Its a sin to tell a lie" is on there. I have this on a 9" disk sung by Vera Lynn. I think it must be one of her first records. As for Benny Goodmans version of "These foolish things" now that one I do have and very nice to listen to it is as well. I do think that the Henry Hall version of "The music goes around and around" is better than the Jack Hylton one on this disk.

All in all though a great record. And BTW a great you tube site you have too. I'll be checking it out.

RJ 8-)