Lost Images

Post any website technical issues, suggestions, or requests here
chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Lost Images

Post by chunnybh »

"Last updated from 3.3.2 to 3.3.3 on 2021-01-30 @ 03:44 EST"

The more I read up on this upgrade the more common it appears that this upgrade corrupts the contents of the images folder. Most PHP hosts make regular backups and often the forum administrators will also do regular backups.

My understanding is that if these backups exist, they can be used to restore the lost images.
When was the last backup of the images folder made before the upgrade?.

I have a friend who runs another forum which had the same problem. The PHP upgrade corrupted the images. He didn't have any backups but managed to repair the corrupted image files and restored them successfully.

I know it's a chore to run a forum like this
If the administrators were willing to give access to these folders, I may be able to help restore these invaluable images.

emgcr
Victor IV

Re: Lost Images

Post by emgcr »

A good friend who is highly competent in the computer world offered to do exactly the same thing six months ago---for free if David would allow it. I have written several times since but no response or action has been forthcoming.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

I remember reading that this would be looked into and corrected many months ago. And a comment to the effect that harping on about it would erode willingness to attend to it, so I've refrained from commenting further until now. I've made a donation before and am super-willing to do so again if this issue is solved. Large amounts of historical, technical and practical information, to me the most important reason for the forum's existence, are contained in those attachments and their loss is absolutely crushing.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Orchorsol wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:00 am I remember reading that this would be looked into and corrected many months ago. And a comment to the effect that harping on about it would erode willingness to attend to it, so I've refrained from commenting further until now. I've made a donation before and am super-willing to do so again if this issue is solved. Large amounts of historical, technical and practical information, to me the most important reason for the forum's existence, are contained in those attachments and their loss is absolutely crushing.
Very well said. As a major contributor to this forum since its inception, I too feel the loss. I still contribute, but gone are the days when I will invest an hour or two shooting pictures and carefully composing text "for posterity." I'm not going to keep waxing the car if the owner/moderator won't change the oil.

Please keep the following website address handy in the event things continue to deteriorate here.

https://forum.antiquephono.org/

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

I gladly contributed financially last year and again this year to try to assist in the smooth running of the forum but promises continue to be broken which is very galling indeed. It is actually fraudulent to ask for money and not give or even attempt a full service in return. There can be no excuse as the necessary free remedial help has been offered by others and action is now urgently required.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

I'm very sad for the loss of so much time and effort we've all put into this forum.
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

There seems to only be 14.5Gb in the download folder, only 340Mb are of images pre the update I am assuming the upgrade started putting new images in the download folder. Perhaps the rest of the images are in another folder. I would have assumed it would be a case of simply copying the old images to the new location. Perhaps I am wrong and there are other problems with links.
Anyway, if the administrators would like a hand sorting out this mess, I am always willing to help.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Is there an update on the image problem?

Garret

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Garret, please email David--we have all tried numerous times and failed to get any action. It really is beyond the pale.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

A quick check shows that MordEth last logged in on November 26, which was only a few days ago. I do hope he will post soon with some kind of plan and estimated schedule.