[PLEASE READ] A Note From the Administrator

Post any website technical issues, suggestions, or requests here
mattrx
Victor IV

Re: [PLEASE READ] A Note From the Administrator

Post by mattrx »

Brandon,
Thank you for all you do to keep this forum going and to keep it a civil place to have discussions and to learn. I couldn't agree more with the statements you have made, and they are appreciated by many.
Thanks again,
Matt

need4art
Victor II
Personal Text: A man is not a man who does not make the world a better place

Post by need4art »

I find this interesting as what we do in this hobby should be very benign as we are a very small group of people that are interested in an area of collecting that is quite introspective. We will not change the fate of people that are hungry nor will we cure any diseases or change the course of history. But we can help each other to enjoy a common interest. Recently I helped a collector, a member of this forum, to get a machine that I picked up and brought to the CAPS show. He paid for the gas and gave me a fibre needle cutter as well-It was a 5 hour round trip and the collector that turned him onto the machine at an antique store and his wife fed me lunch as well. But he has helped me to get a machine in the past. Yes there is money to be made in this hobby-but its not enough to hurt anyone in the process. I know that there are collectors with machines that are worth $20,000 and much more. But I will never own them. They don't play the records or the cylinders any better and while they are rare here in Arizona there is just not a big collector base to drive me to that point.

I really like the machines, the music of the different periods, and most of the people. Lets just help each other and have fun!
Abe

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Thanks Brandon, well said!
The old saying still holds true: If you don't have anything nice to say it is better to not say anything at all. And very often it takes more skill and guts to not post a return answer than to post and win an argument.

Andreas

ejackett
Victor II

Post by ejackett »

Brandon, your post was needed and very well thought out, I agree with all the reply's that have been posted.
I have only been in this hobby for about 2 years, and have relied on it and the members who support it tremendously
for information, advise and parts. So far all who have replied to my posts for whatever have been helpful and
gratious. I love this hobby and this forum was the first place I came to before I bought my first machine for advice.
Keep up the good work.
Gene

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

"And very often it takes more skill and guts to not post a return answer..."

Well said... and to those of you who may have been offended by my over the top replies... I am sorry. I realize that an inappropriate reply brings you down to a level that no one likes, especially myself. I would also like to apologize for my strange sense of humor... if it has offended anyone, again I am sorry, all I can say is that is not my intent. :oops:

I may come across as somewhat intense or passionate about this hobby, but I really do enjoy it and although not a novice collector, I still have many seemingly stupid questions. I appreciate all of you who have provided information and ideas and hopefully some of you have benefited from a few of my contributions...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

Being a member of several different online collector groups, I've consistently seen even the usually most tolerant folks have a bad day and say things they might later regret. Then there are folks that are truly snobs, but they don't usually last too long on forums. It seems to be very common in online forums to see messages like this where the administrator has to occasionally remind folks to take it easy on their fellow forum members.

All in all, this group is about the most excellent forum I've seen and I'm happy to be here and would feel comfortable asking a dumb question (as I have on many occasions).

Keep up the good work, everybody! Cliff
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

Hailey
Victor III

Post by Hailey »

What do you say we all meet at my place and have a beer, or coke, or latte, or whatever else wets your whistle?.

Phonolair
Victor III

Post by Phonolair »

Thanks Brandon, I agree it needed to be said. I don't sign in and post very often but I do like to stop in and read about what's going on. So when the petty bickering starts it can ruin a otherwise interesting thread.

Best Regards, Larry

Andersun
Victor III

Post by Andersun »

Brandon, I must thank you for being a moderator. I bet it's a lot like being a board member in a condominium association!

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

Wow, Where was I when all this happened??!??

I missed the Fireworks as well I guess..

This must be a more recent problem... as I have never gotten the impression that anyone was but gracious on this forum.

:o)

Tony K.
Melbourne, FL