Lost Images

Post any website technical issues, suggestions, or requests here
phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Lost Images

Post by phonogfp »

poodling around wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:43 am
Okay, so you are saying that you think you can copy the TMF onto your site for public use if the TMF ceases to remain on-line.

I assume therefore that you think this would be legally acceptable.

Very interesting and thank you for clarifying.
You're welcome.

As further clarification, it's not "my" website - the APS is a registered 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. I'm simply a member and a volunteer.

George P.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

phonogfp wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:19 am
poodling around wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:43 am
Okay, so you are saying that you think you can copy the TMF onto your site for public use if the TMF ceases to remain on-line.

I assume therefore that you think this would be legally acceptable.

Very interesting and thank you for clarifying.
You're welcome.

As further clarification, it's not "my" website - the APS is a registered 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. I'm simply a member and a volunteer.

George P.
But you do 'speak for' the APS, reflecting their official view on this matter do you ?

Or is this your opinion, as an individual, member and volunteer ?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

poodling around wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:52 pm
But you do 'speak for' the APS, reflecting their official view on this matter do you ?

Like anyone else, I speak from the best of my knowledge. My knowledge is based upon my attendance at Board meetings and discussions among the members. That said, the strength of the APS is that it is run by a group of dedicated people who are concerned for the hobby. I don't consider myself an "official spokesman," nor should you. If you wish an official statement on this or any other position of the APS, I encourage you to contact the organization via the "Contact Us" button at the bottom of the home page:

https://www.antiquephono.org/#/

I didn't intend this to turn into a thing, but rather hoped to allay the fear - should the worst happen to the TMF - that all the archived information would be lost. I hope this was not a case of "no good deed going unpunished." Perhaps you'd be happier if the TMF content were in jeopardy. In any event, Poodle, my wish is that your animosity continue to be directed solely at me rather than the APS. I probably should have let sleeping dogs lie.

George P.

poodling around
Victor V

phonogfp wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:51 pm
poodling around wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:52 pm

Like anyone else, I speak from the best of my knowledge. My knowledge is based upon my attendance at Board meetings and discussions among the members. That said, the strength of the APS is that it is run by a group of dedicated people who are concerned for the hobby. I don't consider myself an "official spokesman," nor should you. If you wish an official statement on this or any other position of the APS, I encourage you to contact the organization via the "Contact Us" button at the bottom of the home page:

I didn't intend this to turn into a thing, but rather hoped to allay the fear - should the worst happen to the TMF - that all the archived information would be lost. I hope this was not a case of "no good deed going unpunished." Perhaps you'd be happier if the TMF content were in jeopardy. In any event, Poodle, my wish is that your animosity continue to be directed solely at me rather than the APS. I probably should have let sleeping dogs lie.

George P.
I am a bit lost for words here.

You seem to have gone off on a bit of a tangent - well, several tangents.

I have simply tried, in view of your previous comments, to clarify the position.

In view of your present comments, I conclude that there is no official APS view and this idea of copying this website onto the APS website is possibly fantasy.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

poodling around wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:03 pm
I am a bit lost for words here.

You seem to have gone off on a bit of a tangent - well, several tangents.

I have simply tried, in view of your previous comments, to clarify the position.

In view of your present comments, I conclude that there is no official APS view and this idea of copying this website onto the APS website is possibly fantasy.
Your conclusions are yours to do with as you wish. The APS can be contacted here:

My work here is finished, and I wish you a pleasant evening.

George P.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

We seem to be losing the plot here.

Thank you George P. for trying to explain the situation. I am just glad there was someone with the foresight to make a backup of the forum. Which is perfectly legal to do for personal use. Publishing it elsewhere would of course need the permission of the forum owners and administrators. The logistics of doing that will be fun for someone. The only way I can see that happening is in an archival form. That is a fixed unchanging site. I would be fine with that as it would mean all the valuable information with images would be safe in one place.
I generally like the fact that TTMF is free to join and not affiliated with any organisation but perhaps it is time it was archived and we move onto the APS forum. Just a personal thought.
The elephant in the room of course is that the current administrators are AWOL. I am sure they have their reasons but us, as participants on this forum are bound by them and this problem is not going to solve itself, so please Mr. Administrator kindly let us know what is happening here.

rodpickett
Victor II

Post by rodpickett »

It would be prudent to be familiar with GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) guidelines in relationship to public-domain content posted on Internet Forums, absent PID (Personal Identifiable Information).

Information is viewable by all, with posting privileges attributed to registered users.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

chunnybh wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:32 pm I generally like the fact that TTMF is free to join and not affiliated with any organisation but perhaps it is time it was archived and we move onto the APS forum. Just a personal thought.
You're very welcome, Chunny.

Just to clarify one point you made: should it ever become necessary to post the TMF content on an APS site, it will continue to be free to registered users - exactly what we enjoy here at the TMF.

I hope that doesn't happen, but that's the thing about insurance - you hope you never need it.

George P.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

So we are back to square one.
Trying to persuade our administrators to simply talk to us and keep us updated.

poodling around
Victor V

chunnybh wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:32 pm We seem to be losing the plot here.

Thank you George P. for trying to explain the situation. I am just glad there was someone with the foresight to make a backup of the forum. Which is perfectly legal to do for personal use. Publishing it elsewhere would of course need the permission of the forum owners and administrators. The logistics of doing that will be fun for someone. The only way I can see that happening is in an archival form. That is a fixed unchanging site. I would be fine with that as it would mean all the valuable information with images would be safe in one place.
I generally like the fact that TTMF is free to join and not affiliated with any organisation but perhaps it is time it was archived and we move onto the APS forum. Just a personal thought.
The elephant in the room of course is that the current administrators are AWOL. I am sure they have their reasons but us, as participants on this forum are bound by them and this problem is not going to solve itself, so please Mr. Administrator kindly let us know what is happening here.
I previously said:

Hang on a minute.
I think we all know that a person can't just copy an entire website and publish it some-where else. Unless that person is the owner of the website. Even if a website goes off-line.
Or am I wrong.

You say:

I am just glad there was someone with the foresight to make a backup of the forum. Which is perfectly legal to do for personal use. Publishing it elsewhere would of course need the permission of the forum owners and administrators.

Thank you for confiirming (what I thought was) the situation.

Greatly appreciated.