Lost Images

Post any website technical issues, suggestions, or requests here
AllenReisner
Victor Jr

Re: Lost Images

Post by AllenReisner »

Permission would NOT be needed to restore data to another site. It is considered public-domain.

It would not make sense to do so unless the current site “crashes and burns” and is never recovered.

Current owners could sell the Domain name if they wish

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

AllenReisner wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:50 am Permission would NOT be needed to restore data to another site. It is considered public-domain.
No, it isn't. Publishing to the internet does not constitute automatic release to the public domain in any jurisdiction that I am aware of. If you have case law to the contrary, please post details.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

The owner of the site, Neophone has not posted since 2014. The Administrator, Mordeth last posted in June of this year. There's zero interest in maintaining this forum. I don't post much these days but if I do it's over at the APS site. It's well maintained and unlike here, all the pictures I've posted there are visible.

rodpickett
Victor II

Post by rodpickett »

After substantial effort, APS Forum has been built and provisioned on the APS Website Hosting Environment including the latest Forum software release and all software dependencies at current level.

We have also allocated 1TB of storage capacity for future expansion.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

rodpickett wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:52 pm After substantial effort, APS Forum has been built and provisioned on the APS Website Hosting Environment including the latest Forum software release and all software dependencies at current level.

We have also allocated 1TB of storage capacity for future expansion.
Thanks Rod. Although there are several people who provide moderation and technical support/testing for the APS Forum, you consistently put in long hours to ensure the site is up to snuff. Thanks for safeguarding all that information for the hobby.

https://forum.antiquephono.org/

George P.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

I came on here this afternoon for help in getting the Victor Concert Reproducer apart. As expected I found some members have posted useful information on this task but, of course, the diagram attachments are gone making the information pretty useless. Coming up to 2 years now that all older attachments have gone.....

The loss of such a large archive is a tragedy. Many of the lost images were of great interest to me and I never saved them as I wish I had. I used this site for research. I wonder if anyone else persistently notices this loss? Perhaps it’s just me.

I would like to say a very warm ‘thank you’ to the people at the APS for their efforts. I was so pleased to read that someone was trying to save this archive and had the foresight to start doing this a few years ago. I don’t know what the legal consequences are and quite frankly I don’t care, at least, it may be saved for posterity. Either the owner, Neophone, has lost interest in the site and therefore would not care, or would not object if he were contactable and he knew of the pressure the lone administrator is under.

Also a ‘thank you’ to those members such as chunnybh and emgcr who offered free help to try and fix this problem. The fact they didn’t even receive an acknowledgement from the administrator doesn’t mean the rest of us don’t appreciate it. If the administrator is under pressure why not ask for or accept help? Pride is not helpful.

Lamenting about this negatively will impact on the administrators motivation but it seems that saying nothing but repeated ‘thank you David’ produces no motivation anyway. He rarely logs in. 20 months since he last mentioned this issue. Without any administration or technical expertise the site can not last indefinitely. It’s only a question of time. I see that last year member Raphael had to intervene to keep the site running and that was only because he found a phone number.

We all sympathise and fully appreciate that the administrator is under great pressure and does not have the time, or has suggested payment for that time as is completely reasonable in business. He has the pressure of his deadlines, bereavements, personal issues, moving house etc. So it’s time to please pass it on to people who can give the time without loosing earnings from elsewhere. I can sympathise with David (MordEth) I too have had great pressure from family issues over the last 18 months.

I have tried writing to John (Neophone) but have had no reply.

I thank David for the effort he put into upgrading the site a few years back but the enthusiasm needs to be more long lasting so please pass the site on.

Jamie