Please Help - HMV Gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
AlfonsoX
Victor Jr

Please Help - HMV Gramophone

Post by AlfonsoX »

Hello,

I need some help to figure out what is happening with this gramophone (branded "His Master's Voice"):
https://streamable.com/4w8qks

Apart from the metalized or distorted sound, it works like lagged. I would like to know whether it is serious, irreparable or how much money it may take to repair the gramophone (I have no idea, so I appreciate any information).

Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards.

HMV130
Victor O

Re: Please Help - HMV Gramophone

Post by HMV130 »

Hello,

First and foremost it is essential that the soundbox is mounted correctly. Try to rotate the soundbox clockwise until there is approximately 60° degrees between the record surface and the needle. If the problem persists even when the soundbox has been correctly mounted, then such bad reproduction is due to a damaged/worn record. Moreover, do not forget to inspect the needle point under a light to understand if it has been used. Used needles may not lie properly in the record groove thus contributing to the record wear. By considering the video it seems that there are no problems with the motor.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

As HMV130 noted, the angle of the sound box (reproducer) is definitely wrong. It should look more like this:
Capture.JPG
Also, I'm wondering if the tonearm's crook (front portion) is too stiff. Remove the sound box and make sure that it moves freely up and down. If it's too stiff, it can cause the needle to skim the groove and cause the skipping sound you hear.

OrthoFan

HMV130
Victor O

Post by HMV130 »

HMV130 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:04 pm Hello,

First and foremost it is essential that the soundbox is mounted correctly. Try to rotate the soundbox clockwise until there is approximately 60° degrees between the record surface and the needle. If the problem persists even when the soundbox has been correctly mounted, then such bad reproduction is due to a damaged/worn record. Moreover, do not forget to inspect the needle point under a light to understand if it has been used. Used needles may not lie properly in the record groove thus contributing to the record wear. By considering the video it seems that there are no problems with the motor.
I just watched the video again and I notice that the soundbox rests firmly in position aligned with the tonearm as if it is not able to move freely upward and downward as OrthoFan suggested. This may be due to the shorter part of the tonearm being screwed too tightly leading to the needle not making continuous contact with the record groove. In this case you should turn the upper meaning shorter portion of the tonearm counter clockwise completely fews times.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Look at the end of the video. When the arm is taken off the record, the front part doesn't move at all, it just hangs in the air! It just needs the crook to be unscrewed, the threads cleaned of the old grease, and a drop of oil applied to the threads before re-assembling. Job done!

Barry

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

For doing that, you'll have to unscrew the tonearm base from the board, take out the complete tonearm and base, take out the soundbox, take out the crook stop spring T part unscrewing it from the tonearm (it is mounted with two small screws) and then you can unscrew the crook, clean and oil the outer and inner threads on both parts of the tonearm, and reassemble it. You screw the crook on the tonearm fully, then give one complete turn backwards and see if then it can move freely up and down.
Best if you take the soundbox out before any other manipulation, to avoid breakages.
You can also check (without disassembling it) that the tonearm base (the black base at the thick end) rotates freely between its stops. If it's a bit sluggish, just put some oil drops at the bottom part so they get into the ball bearing mechanism. Don't disassemble this unless you're ready for a bearing balls festival! It's complicated to reassemble again, avoid it if not absolutely necessary. Usually simple oiling should make it work properly.
Inigo

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

These are the areas that need attention - rotating the reproducer and rotating and oiling the crook and the base...
Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 12.40.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 12.40.43 PM.png (379.04 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Just a tip regarding the crook stop. You don't need to remove it completely, just undo the screws enough to let the protruding pin on the crook slide past it. I find that it is a very fiddly job to get the screws back in once they have been removed, but that may just be down to my ageing fingers!

Barry

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Phono48, a good trick! Yes, these tiny screws do finely threaded are a nightmare to replace!
Inigo

Yorch
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Gramophone lover

Post by Yorch »

I agree with Phono48, the crook is not free so it doesn't allow the needle being in contact with the record all the time.