Re-motored "Die Stimme seines Herrn" Cabinet

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: Re-motored "Die Stimme seines Herrn" Cabinet

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you, Oedipus, for trying to solve the mysteries around this gramophone. My first impression when I saw it on the seller's photos, and seeing the motor board, was that the complete motor board with motor was from another gramophone, also because the wood coloring,( even if it has two color variations) of the motorboard are both slightly out of tune with the rest of the cabinet interior. Then, when I checked the gramophone, I started to believe it maybe had an orginal motor board, because the screw holes on the motor board fitted perfectly into the cabinet, but of course, these holes may very well be similar on related models. So, after reading your last post, I again start to believe, that you are right, that the motor board with motor comes from another machine, and because of the metal plate etc, as you describe, did not fit the winder hole on the cabinet.

Then one of course can wonder why this ever was done, sacrificing a gramophone using the motor board with motor only, and also what happened to the original motor board, but this is something we of course never will be able to know. Then one also can wonder what model that was used as a donor machine, and where this motor originates, but I understand this is a very difficult task to answer, since the motor obviously comes from a DGAG cabinet, and is not made in the UK.

I will take some additional photos today of the machine and upload in the evening.

it could be interesting to know what you, forum members would do with this machine, if the motor board/motor is not original?

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

First answer for me, then. I opt for keeping it as is, closing the unusable winding hole. If it works well, I mean... until you locate an original motorboard with motor and all, if we ever know what it must be.... :D
Inigo

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thanks Inigo, for adding your view. I feel locating an original motorboard wiith motor, is extremely unlikekly to happen, since the model itself is almost unknown. But yes, I also feel I will keep it as it is, and close the old winder hole. Because of the good motor that is inside it now, it will keep running for years and years. The other options feels like a sacrilege really, like for instance selling out the parts, and use the cabinet as a " the words not to mention". :shock:
I took two more photos of the horn, and upload them now. Apart from it, after inspecting the cabinet in detail, there is nothing really more to add, as I can see it.
Attachments
mai2021 017.jpg
mai2021 016.jpg

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

If it were mine, I'd probably look around for an original horn. The cast iron horn was common to all the early uprights as far as I'm aware, so you'll probably find one eventually.
Once I had the horn, I'd try fitting it in the cabinet, and then see if the current motor still fits.
I'm guessing it probably will.

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

The motor with a metal top plate probably comes from a Model IXa or similar, although the non-yielding turntable as a slight reason to doubt this. I agree with others that the gramophone is best left as it is, although a horn might be findable.

I long ago gave up trying to guess why previous owners did the things they did (to gramophones or anything else), but I suggest that this gramophone had all its innards removed, perhaps in the 1930s, when it was obsolete but of no historical interest. At some later date it came into the possession of a dealer or collector who had that motor, and the tone-arm, and knew enough about gramophones to make a suitable horn.

I think that it is likely that the original motor would have had three 1 ¼ -inch springs, but we can't be certain until a complete GAM turns up!

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

I'd say that even the horn is not deniable. It is well made, and as you said, by someone with knowledge, if not original. I only would take it out, revise it and seal the joints all along, and reinstall it. The sound must be very pleasant with that all wood horn.
Relax, restore it lovely, and enjoy it with no rush for substitution... Just keep an eye opened to discover how should it look like, and in case the needed parts appear.
In the worst case, you'll be left with a nice playable gramophone with good sound.
Inigo

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you to everyone giving information, advices and opinions on this machine.
Let's hope a complete GAM turns up sooner or later, so we can return to this machine and see what amendments was done to it in the past. :geek:

GramophoneSmith
Victor Jr

Post by GramophoneSmith »

Hi. I have the same machine found here in Australia. First one I have found in over 10 years. Mine has the scroll decal and a triple spring motor. I have been able to find a couple advertisements only. While the advert mentions the other oak and mahogany junior grands (which i also have) it has the picture of this plainer machine).
Attachments
Bulleton 1914.png
20220113_171459.jpg
20220113_171405.jpg
20200924_125827.jpg

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you so much for uploading these photos. Finally we can see what this machine really looked like "under the cover". It is very interesting to see both the original motor, and the motor board, that originally also was found on my machine. I am sure these photos will be very happily received also by other members who originally took part in the discussion. If possible, it could also be interesting to see some photos of the interior horn, since this was discussed a lot when I showed the interior of my machine. :geek:
Thanks again:)

GramophoneSmith
Victor Jr

Post by GramophoneSmith »

Happy to send in a day or two. Sorry I didn't get notified of your reply to mine, otherwise I would have replied sooner. I have now subscribed to this subject.