The Plumber-o-Phone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

The Plumber-o-Phone

Post by nostalgia »

I have to show you this one...for sale on an auction site.
Personally I here and now named it the Plumber-o-phone... :lol: ...even if it is sold as funny gramophone.
Look at the "soundbox"... :shock:
Attachments
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: The Plumber-o-Phone

Post by Curt A »

Obviously, winding this machine was not a big priority... maybe it originally had a tall, thin, matching column to sit it on. :roll: :? :lol:
I love the graceful back bracket...

You ARE going to add it to your collection, aren't you?
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Curt, I am considering swapping it with the Pathéphone :lol:

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

The thing about this machine is that it is near my (and maybe someone else's) idea of making an entirely new gramophone from off-the-shelf modern available materials... PVC/brass/copper plumber piping and parts, etc...
Inigo

mrrgstuff
Victor I

Post by mrrgstuff »

Inigo wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:00 am The thing about this machine is that it is near my (and maybe someone else's) idea of making an entirely new gramophone from off-the-shelf modern available materials... PVC/brass/copper plumber piping and parts, etc...
I rather like it, and it's the sort of thing I would try to build. It is an interesting mixture though as there does appear to be some genuine parts. Somebody has gone to quite a bit of trouble to fabricate it, yet the issue with the winding handle and the orientation/construction of the soundbox suggests it was not built to work, nor was the constructor overly familiar with gramophones. I may be wrong though ...

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Are they selling the record albums with it?? It is an odd duck but interesting. By chance have you heard it play ?? Tom

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I have not heard it play, it is sold through an auction site, together with the records: https://auctionet.com/en/1794995-funny- ... l-and-wood
I also can appreciate the concept of bulding a gramophone from scratch, but being sold this way, the returns would not cover the cost of the build materials,,,and I still do not understand how this machine can play the records that go with it...

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

This gramophone would benefit greatly I if the new owner reversed the tonearm and mounted the soundbox in the opposite side and angle... In the current configuration it has a negative offset!
Pity that the crank is at the left side.
Inigo

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Inigo wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:14 am This gramophone would benefit greatly if the new owner
... drove over it with a steamroller. :lol:

(Apologies, couldn't resist it!)
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

:D :D :D :D
But seriously, I can't resist the temptation to make every gramophone copy I've met to sound. Years ago I bought a plastic toy gramophone that didn't sound, nor was intended to. But it was built such that it could be made the real thing with only few modifications. It has a motor and working turntable, a tonearm and false soundbox, and a horn. And the sound conduit is all there, ready to play, from the soundbox to the horn mouth. The only thing was the false soundbox. It only needed to be opened, and to insert inside a working diaphragm and a needlebar. I made it, and it is capable of playing small 78s (those of 5" or less) from which I happened to have a big bunch I bought for most nothing, a lot of French Inovat band records. It also plays modern (1970s) doll plastic records, from which I also acquired a small collection. Now I have it dismantled again, trying to make a better diaphragm arrangement with a revolving elbow or something that allows playing both types of records at once (the dolls records are vertically recorded).
Inigo