Over The Top Gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Django
Victor IV

Re: Over The Top Gramophone

Post by Django »

Is the wood black walnut? It reminds me of the best of Black Forrest carving. It is a true work of art and an example of fine craftsmanship and great imagination.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Django wrote:Is the wood black walnut? It reminds me of the best of Black Forrest carving. It is a true work of art and an example of fine craftsmanship and great imagination.
Don't know about the wood; but it looks to have an ebonized finish.

Bill

Andreas Gramophones
Victor I

Post by Andreas Gramophones »

Congratulations, you were in good hands. Greetings from Brazil. Andreas
Attachments
33.JPG
33.JPG (51.57 KiB) Viewed 1620 times

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

WOW I love those hand carved machines. You made a good find. Tom

oliver
Victor I

Post by oliver »

gramophone78 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:43 am This recently found machine is certainly the most ostentatious I have ever owned.....if not,the biggest outside horn table model..what a monster... :lol:

It reminds me of a Victor Monarch Deluxe in many ways.101_1605.JPG101_1608.JPG101_1607.JPG
After seeing this beauty, I'm afraid the "Pathé Concert Automatique" which is currently on my bucket list isn't quite going to cut it....

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

epigramophone wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:58 pm
gramophone78 wrote:For scale....the turntable is 14" in diameter.
Perfect for playing expensive 14" Fonotipias which, along with Odeon machines such as this, were produced by the Lindstrom group of companies.
There were also some 14 inch Odeons issued , well 13 and ¾ inches actually , which were single sided . One or two turned up in a UK auction a few years ago , formerly in the collection of a well known individual in the gramophone and record collecting world .
Last edited by Dulcetto on Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Thank you for the comments. Since we first posted, we have now found two Odeon catalogs (German & French) listing her as the "Berlioz" model.

To date, we are nor aware of another example. If a member has seen another, please let us know.
1908-09 Odeon Catalog (2).jpg

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

gramophone78 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:23 am Thank you for the comments. Since we first posted, we have now found two Odeon catalogs (German & French) listing her as the "Berlioz" model.

To date, we are nor aware of another example. If a member has seen another, please let us know.

Andreas in Brasil posted his a couple posts up. Beautiful machines, on par with my "Grosser" Parlophon but much more detailed and with a 14" turntable which is just fantastic. Would gladly welcome one of these in my abode. Really enjoy these high quality Lindstrom machines! :D
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Beautiful stunning machine, many congratulations. I absolutely love it and would like to find one for my collection.

I can't look at it without imagining how great it would look next to my Parlophone no. 9 with jewel set case and 65cm horn. It also has 14" turntable and colossal double spring motor which plays all day on single winding! :lol:

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

gramophone-georg wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:33 pm
gramophone78 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:23 am Thank you for the comments. Since we first posted, we have now found two Odeon catalogs (German & French) listing her as the "Berlioz" model.

Andreas in Brasil posted his a couple posts up. Beautiful machines, on par with my "Grosser" Parlophon but much more detailed and with a 14" turntable which is just fantastic. Would gladly welcome one of these in my abode. Really enjoy these high quality Lindstrom machines! :D
Actually, the one Andreas posted is mine... :lol: :D