Over The Top Gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Over The Top Gramophone

Post by gramophone-georg »

Steve wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:40 pm Beautiful stunning machine, many congratulations. I absolutely love it and would like to find one for my collection.

I can't look at it without imagining how great it would look next to my Parlophone no. 9 with jewel set case and 65cm horn. It also has 14" turntable and colossal double spring motor which plays all day on single winding! :lol:
Pictures or it didn't happen. :D
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

gramophone78 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:36 pm
gramophone-georg wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:33 pm
gramophone78 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:23 am Thank you for the comments. Since we first posted, we have now found two Odeon catalogs (German & French) listing her as the "Berlioz" model.

To date, we are nor aware of another example. If a member has seen another, please let us know.

1908-09 Odeon Catalog (2).jpg
Andreas in Brasil posted his a couple posts up. Beautiful machines, on par with my "Grosser" Parlophon but much more detailed and with a 14" turntable which is just fantastic. Would gladly welcome one of these in my abode. Really enjoy these high quality Lindstrom machines! :D
Actually, the one Andreas posted is mine... :lol: :D
Ah. I see.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

gramophone-georg wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:24 pm
gramophone78 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:36 pm
gramophone-georg wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:33 pm

Andreas in Brasil posted his a couple posts up. Beautiful machines, on par with my "Grosser" Parlophon but much more detailed and with a 14" turntable which is just fantastic. Would gladly welcome one of these in my abode. Really enjoy these high quality Lindstrom machines! :D
Actually, the one Andreas posted is mine... :lol: :D
Ah. I see.
The machine was found by me in Curitiba Brazil. I had it couriered to Sao Paulo (about four hours) and then shipped on a overnight flight to Canada. Because the Brazilian air cargo handlers were on strike, it sat for three weeks in a warehouse at Sao Paulo airport before being loaded on a plane. It also required fumigation (Brazilian law) before leaving the country.....so, lots of hoops had to be jumped through to get her here. A big thank you to Air Canada and other companies for taking great care of her during shipping.

Interestingly, it was sold by a well known South American dealer (Fred & Gustavo Figner) "Casa Edison". A dealer that actually won in court against Edison for using Edison as part of the company name....one of very few if not the only dealer to do so with regards to the use of his name. Her original reproducer box was still inside the case......kind of cool.
20180207_184159.jpg
20180207_184220.jpg
Last edited by gramophone78 on Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:16 am, edited 4 times in total.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

That is a beauty. It looks very heavy.. Is that the stock crank or did something else come with it. ?? Just wondering with all the fancy work on the phonograph I would think it also would have a different fancy crank. Tom

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

tomb wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:47 pm That is a beauty. It looks very heavy.. Is that the stock crank or did something else come with it. ?? Just wondering with all the fancy work on the phonograph I would think it also would have a different fancy crank. Tom
Nope, they used just a regular type crank on their models. I guess it was already over the top..... :lol:

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

gramophone-georg wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:23 pm
Steve wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:40 pm Beautiful stunning machine, many congratulations. I absolutely love it and would like to find one for my collection.

I can't look at it without imagining how great it would look next to my Parlophone no. 9 with jewel set case and 65cm horn. It also has 14" turntable and colossal double spring motor which plays all day on single winding! :lol:
Pictures or it didn't happen. :D
You might find this 9 year old link of interest but within it you'll see my post with links to photos of my machine.

viewtopic.php?t=12666

I have since repainted the horn white (inspired by a rarer than Hen's Teeth Pathéphone No. 14 that Jalal Aro of Phonogalerie has pictured in one of Fabrizio and Paul's books) as upon very close examination it revealed itself to be tin and previously painted powder blue in an earlier life (most people thought it was a nickel plated horn including the auctioneers). I'll be honest, I never looked all that closely at the horn before buying as I was too much in awe of the case!

BTW, my machine model is an Olympia 75, not a "9" as I mistakenly wrote earlier. I was thinking about a Spanish machine I have! :?
Last edited by Steve on Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.