Help! Removing Oil Bath Motor from 193

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Garret
Victor IV

Help! Removing Oil Bath Motor from 193

Post by Garret »

Is there a way to remove this motorboard, or at least the motor? Which screws have to be undone?

Sidewinder
Victor III

Re: Help! Removing Oil Bath Motor from 193

Post by Sidewinder »

Looks like you have undone the relevant 4 screws, so the motorboard with motor should lift out. Maybe the almost 100 year rubber isolation has stuck the board to the machine. When storing the motor, do store it horizontal, otherwise you may be cleaning oil from the floor

BTW (needle in a haystack) if anyone has one of the leg brace for the short side of a 193, 1 of mine is strangely missing. I thought I'd ask before making a new one. Thanks

HMVDevotee
Victor I
Personal Text: Spin'em Fast!

Post by HMVDevotee »

Garret,

Here are two images that should help. The motor hangs from the top plate which rests on the motorboard. I remove my motor by removing the top plate's three retaining screws as well as the speed control plate and mechanism.

The motor is heavy and I slightly raise each side and then slip large zip-ties under the plate and up through the vacant retaining screw holes. I then thread the zip-tie through it's latch, leaving three large loops that can be easily held and which easily lift the motor/plate assembly out of the motor board.

I've replaced springs and serviced the oil pump in mine, so if you would like other images, send me a PM and I will forward them to you.

Robert
Attachments
IMG_3046.jpg
hmv52top.JPG

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Robert,

Thank you so much for these clear images.

The machine isn't mine, but belongs to a collector in Singapore that is having a terrible time with it.

Garret

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

That leg stretcher isn't complex, in case you have to make one... Oops, I'm thinking of a194, maybe the 193 has more complex shape? Although in the web images it seems not too complex. A charpenter might do one for you for not much money...
Inigo

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

Sometimes when folks go to remove the motor board they forget one little part and that is to remove the crank. Can't tell you how many times I've neglected to notice it still attached to the side of the machine. Just sayin'

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

Inigo wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:36 pm That leg stretcher isn't complex, in case you have to make one... Oops, I'm thinking of a194, maybe the 193 has more complex shape? Although in the web images it seems not too complex. A charpenter might do one for you for not much money...
Many thanks. I also think its easy, question was just on the off chance - original always better ;)

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

When replacing the top of the motor (lid) be sure to take care to not damage the tiny upright oil lubricating tube which also has to be lined up with the corresponding hole in the top. It's not particularly easy and took me a while to figure it out. You have to almost have the top in place before you can judge the distance by eye, by which time its difficult to see anything as it gets dark quickly!

HMVDevotee
Victor I
Personal Text: Spin'em Fast!

Post by HMVDevotee »

Steve makes a good point! Here is what he is talking about:
Attachments
HMV52oilpipe2.jpeg
HMV52oilpipe.jpeg
HMV52OilPorts.jpeg