An Edwardian gathering.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

An Edwardian gathering.

Post by epigramophone »

Clues to identify this charming old photo are the circa 1909 Humber and it's Kinross-Shire "SV" registration.
The man at the wheel is just posing. The driver and passenger are standing and wearing motoring coats and caps.
The large number of children present might suggest a Sunday School outing.
The gramophone leans at an alarming angle which will not improve it's reproduction.
Attachments
Humber.jpg

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: An Edwardian gathering.

Post by Steve »

That dog looks pretty miserable. I guess his owner promised him / her a nice long walk but reneged and spent the afternoon sat on his backside listening to music with the crowd. :D

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Duplicated
Last edited by jamiegramo on Fri May 20, 2022 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

epigramophone wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:56 am The gramophone leans at an alarming angle which will not improve it's reproduction.
I wonder if the gramophone slipped off that table and crushed that ladies hat. It would have protected her head like a helmet but would have been ruined in the process which may have caused some consternation among the assembly. The more I look at this photograph the more I’m sure this happened just after the photo was taken.

It’s a fascinating photo with a sort of gloomy overcast quality where the people gathered for a pleasant sunny day and found the opposite. The dog is freezing but the girl in the motor car was no doubt pleased to get one up on her peers.
[/quote]

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

I don't know... But just think that in those days, taking a photo was a real magical event, and everyone nearby wanted to join to be immortalised. They posed for their photo, but who knows how they were actually located for their festive event... That we'll never know...! :D
Inigo

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

Fantastic photo. But -- a lamb on the bonnet of the car?

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

It is an excellent photo to study, but they always ignite some melancholy in me too, knowing these people are all.....gone.
Like alll of us in here, in 80 years time, we are all gone too....
But to not make this post too miserable...our gramophones hopefullly will live on, if we continue to clean the springs and motors properly, and not some crazy world leader hit a bad button :mrgreen: