Looking for a triple spring rocking turntable motor for cockleshell monarch

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
soundgen
Victor V

Re: Looking for a triple spring rocking turntable motor for cockleshell monarch

Post by soundgen »

Steve wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:03 am
Oedipus wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:47 am The Cockleshell normally has a double spring motor and ten-inch turntable, but I have never seen a mahogany Cockleshell before. I take it the position of the brake indicates a 12-inch turntable? I presume the black finish and unusual lining on the back bracket are not original? -- it's a post-G & T model, and the bracket would normally have been nickel-plated.
Am I alone in not recognising the back-bracket as a G & T product. I don't recall ever seeing a bracket with a flat edge to it. Whilst the case has obviously been stripped and refinished it still does not quite look up to the standard of G & T / HMV products I'm more familiar with.

If its so different I wonder where and when it was made? It's doubtfully a Colonial variant as those are more often found in teak.
Yes as you say back bracket is very unusual and not Gramophone company looking but fits the tone arm and the elbow perfectly , the cabinet as you say has been refinished and not particularly well , it also has an odd transfer under the bracket , the motor I have found fits the cabinet , the screw fittings on the motor board are not all original and the turntable "clamp " although works is a makeshift item

It is unusual being mahogany although someone said one was on Ebay awhile ago

I had an oak cockleshell once with a 10 " turntable and a triple spring motor and it only fitted as the front right pillar was hollow for the speed control to function , it was clearly a factory productio but another very odd item

JeffR1
Victor III

Post by JeffR1 »

I would like to know where that other screw went, somewhere on the casting where the green box is ?
Attachments
100_2879.JPG

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Sorry, I'm a little late with my photos. Here they are:

Jerry B.
Attachments
tempImageIjncoj.gif
tempImage6MKezS.gif

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Soundgen's photos, posted on 6/29 @ 6:31, show a motor board & motor that he found, with the mystery screw location being utilized. Perhaps an HMV variation??