EMG Ephemera

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

EMG Ephemera

Post by chunnybh »

Hello All,
Hope the heat wave in Europe isn't causing too much hardship. I've just been talking to my brother in Italy who says the taps have dried up where he is and they are washing with bottled water. All a bit scary.
Here are a few cool things from the 1950's I found on my last trip to the UK.
Attachments
EMG-Receipts.jpg
EMG-covers.jpg
EMG-Bags.jpg
Archive-Production-Records-Vinyl.jpg

emgcr
Victor IV

Re: EMG Ephemera

Post by emgcr »

Many thanks for sight of these interesting items Chunny. It is always so fascinating to have insights into a largely forgotten world. I have a few of the sleeves but have never seen the carrier bags which amazingly seem to be in virtually new condition. The high quality Archive Production covers are also new to me. Once again, good to see EMG going only for the best.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

These were special DGAG lps named in Germany Archiv Produktion, a historic music label started in the late forties. I don't know if it started with 78rpm pressings or they directly started using lps.
Inigo

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

I must admit that I do like these very much.

I have an EMG fibre needles supply receipt with addressed envelope from Grape Street (February 1948) and a Gramophone Co receipt for renovation of a gramophone (1926) which I have framed and are two of my favourite collection items.

I also have some EMG gramophone record sleeves and a blue coloured Davey roll fibre needle sharpener - I have never seen a blue one before.

Your recently acquired item are lovely.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Wonderful Chunny, many thanks for showing us these fascinating items!
Inigo wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:35 am These were special DGAG lps named in Germany Archiv Produktion, a historic music label started in the late forties. I don't know if it started with 78rpm pressings or they directly started using lps.
Yes, I have some Archiv 78s. I believe they were the first (or one of the first) to have variable groove pitch, according to the signal level. As a result, some 12 inch sides are well over 5 minutes long.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Yes, standard DGAG 78s with the yellow label and tulips by this time were also variable micrograde 78s, I've owned several of them. They also carried the inscription "Schallplatte mit verlägerter spieldauer" if memory doesn't fail, in the label or in the sleeves (Record with extended playing time). Their quality, both in recording and surface smoothness, is astounding...
It's also remarkable the quality of the first era lps, both DGAG and other brands, as HMV, etc. Those marvellous lps with very thin microgrooves, the thick stiff vinyl material, and those rich colourful labels... I've noticed these early lps were very well made, plain until the very edge. Later lps tend to have a rare sloped edges, which don't work well with very light pickups as the Ortofon, etc. These sloped edges I hate strongly, and probably came from a change in pressing technique, economy of material, etc. A painful constant from the mid fifties until today...
Inigo

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

blue coloured Davey roll fibre needle sharpener
I'd love to see a pic of that.

The Archive Production LP's are in mint condition and sound wonderful. I also have some on 78 but these seem to have not faired so well, probably due to being stored flat.
The EMG bags were a real surprise as they were hidden in a larger paper bag.