(New) HMV Junior Monarch, wood type?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: (New) HMV Junior Monarch, wood type?

Post by Inigo »

I also keep the original felt in my machines. They're good, except for the usual needle runs around a 10" record :D
Except one HMV style III tabletop, which is eaten by sunlight and moths... And even it smells nasty! But I didn't remove it, I also simply laid on top another used felt from an old turntable. I tried to wash the original, but as it's almost falling and flaking off, I left it stay as is.
I removed one in my Aeolian, and this I'm repenting... Another in a Columbia, and another in an HMV. The rest I live with them originals.
Inigo

neilmack
Victor II

Post by neilmack »

nostalgia wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:20 am Sometimes it gives extra credit to be early up on a Sunday morning when most people sleep. I was out early today to collect 50 jazz records, driving 120 km in total, when suddenly, only 4 km away from my car position at that time, this machine showed up for sale at a very good price after a "pling" on my phone that is watching ads. An amazing luck of course.
After checking the HMG book, I understand this must be a (New Junior) Monarch, manufactured between 1903-10, and from it, it will be my earliest machine so far. It is also very well kept, and in a very good condition, as we can see from the photos.
I am not so sure about the wood type though, is this oak or mahogany? I can see this model was made in rather small mumbers in mahogany, so it would be easy to think it is oak, but the dark color makes me hesitate.
Would you keep the felt as it is, or change it? It looks rather pale...but is not torn etc.
And yes, it is missing the angel plaque on top.
Nice machine, well found!

The beading looks different from the machine that usually turns up in the UK (e.g. https://sounds.bl.uk/Sound-recording-hi ... 987-0003V0) so is this a continental variant?

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

This is quite definitely oak; apart from anything else, the mahogany Junior Monarch (page 27 in HMG) is a totally different design.

However this is also not the same as the normal UK Junior Monarch, and I suspect is is not a Junior Monarch at all, but one of the several European variants of the 'New Victor/ Victor Monarch model.
German Lord 1 1907 cat671.jpg
I am attaching (I hope) a scan of an old photocopy of the relevant page of the 1907 German catalogue. The dimensions given for the horn do not seem right for the horn shown, but may relate to a different (flower) horn, probably of a type not used in the UK. The equivalent model in 1906 had overall 'carving' on the case sides (several of that type have turned up), and was called 'Victor A' but G & T decided that the Victor name should only be used in the UK, so the German versions were from then on called 'Lord'.

The deciding factor is the tone-arm; the Junior Monarch has a full size tone arm, like a Monarch or Senior Monarch, but the Victor/ Lord has a smaller arm, 8 inches rather than 10 ½ inches (20/27 cm. approx)

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you Oedipus, for helping out to identify this macine. I have now measured the length of the tone arm, and it measures to 20,7 cm..approximately, and it shorter in length than the tone arm on for instance my Intermediate Monarch. I guess his tells that it is a European variant of the 'New Victor/ Victor Monarch model that you post a scan of. :)