Storing gramophones in a garden shed

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

Storing gramophones in a garden shed

Post by poodling around »

Is it possible to store gramophones in a garden shed ? Rexine covered portables and oak models etc.

I would imagine that the normally cold and damp conditions in the UK would mean that this is not possible. Then there is the excessive heat in the summer with the sun beating down on the shed. Then there are the squirrels and rodents continuously gnawing away happily.

If it is possible how is the best way to do it I wonder ?

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Storing gramophones in a garden shed

Post by Steve »

poodling around wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:53 pm Is it possible to store gramophones in a garden shed ? Rexine covered portables and oak models etc.

I would imagine that the normally cold and damp conditions in the UK would mean that this is not possible. Then there is the excessive heat in the summer with the sun beating down on the shed. Then there are the squirrels and rodents continuously gnawing away happily.

It depends on the shed! An insulated shed that doesn't leak should be alright, if not strictly ideal. I was wondering about the same thing on similar lines. I have a summer house that is insulated and has double glazed windows and doors. It even has central heating. I'm not really using it for its original purpose so......

JeffR1
Victor II

Post by JeffR1 »

I think it should be heated, the hide glue doesn't like extreme temperature changes or humidity changes.
Not to mention a steam bent oak horn held together with hide glue.

I spent more then 30 years working in a furniture store.
I've seen table leaves warp when stored in an unheated garage that's attached to the house, or even in the house in an unheated guest room.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

If one is looking to store machines in a garden shed, maybe it might be best to move them along?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Even storing machines in a loft is risky because of the extreme range of temperatures.
A wooden outbuilding should be fully insulated and have a low level heater for the winter months.

My house has a block of three brick built garages with tiled roofs, one double and one single. When I downsized from three cars to two (one modern and one classic) I converted the single garage to what my grandchildren call "Grandad's Den". The up-and-over door was replaced by a double glazed window and lower panel, the walls and ceiling were dry lined and insulated, the floor was insulated and covered with a heavy duty vinyl. A night storage heater was installed as I am on the Economy 7 tariff, there being no mains gas in my village.

The conversion was not cheap but has proved very well worth the cost. I can work in there whatever the weather.
Attachments
002.JPG

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

Garret wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:20 am If one is looking to store machines in a garden shed, maybe it might be best to move them along?
Absolutely ! There is life beyond talking machines I hasten to add ! although that may be a difficult goal for some on this forum !! :lol:

poodling around
Victor V

epigramophone wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:54 am Even storing machines in a loft is risky because of the extreme range of temperatures.
A wooden outbuilding should be fully insulated and have a low level heater for the winter months.

My house has a block of three brick built garages with tiled roofs, one double and one single. When I downsized from three cars to two (one modern and one classic) I converted the single garage to what my grandchildren call "Grandad's Den". The up-and-over door was replaced by a double glazed window and lower panel, the walls and ceiling were dry lined and insulated, the floor was insulated and covered with a heavy duty vinyl. A night storage heater was installed as I am on the Economy 7 tariff, there being no mains gas in my village.

The conversion was not cheap but has proved very well worth the cost. I can work in there whatever the weather.
Very interesting indeed. This looks like the ideal place to store gramophones and a magical place to be.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share this epigramophone.

poodling around
Victor V

Steve wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:48 pm
poodling around wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:53 pm Is it possible to store gramophones in a garden shed ? Rexine covered portables and oak models etc.

It depends on the shed! An insulated shed that doesn't leak should be alright, if not strictly ideal. I was wondering about the same thing on similar lines. I have a summer house that is insulated and has double glazed windows and doors. It even has central heating. I'm not really using it for its original purpose so......
Plenty of potential in there I think !

Throw in a couple of banana plants and an Amazon Rain Forest leaf cutting ants nest and I could live there !

poodling around
Victor V

JeffR1 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:57 pm I think it should be heated, the hide glue doesn't like extreme temperature changes or humidity changes.
Not to mention a steam bent oak horn held together with hide glue.

I spent more then 30 years working in a furniture store.
I've seen table leaves warp when stored in an unheated garage that's attached to the house, or even in the house in an unheated guest room.
Great advice ! Thank you JeffR1.

Sounds like an unheated garden shed would not be the way forward then.

I appreciate your help.

poodling around
Victor V

Garret wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:20 am If one is looking to store machines in a garden shed, maybe it might be best to move them along?
Thanks very much Garret - a very insightful point you make !

The idea is, that I only have, say, room enough to comfortably display 2 floor standing gramophones, two portables and a table-top. If I could clear the room other-wise I could then concentrate and enjoy those and swap things around occasionally.

So I don't want to get rid of the others permanently.

I must admit though, there are a few items which do need to be moved along !!!