WW2 - puzzle to me ???

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

WW2 - puzzle to me ???

Post by poodling around »

I think that during WW2 IM Pointmasters were made from metal instead of the usual bakelite.

Why was there a shortage of Bakelite I wonder ? Something to do with a shortage of oil to make this product maybe ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155580088080 ... R9z9q5CNYg
Attachments
bake.jpg

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: WW2 - puzzle to me ???

Post by Steve »

There was no shortage of rust during WW2 evidently! :lol:

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Very interest to see it marked that way. :coffee:

James.

poodling around
Victor V

Roaring20s wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 4:27 pm Very interest to see it marked that way. :coffee:

James.
Yes, I agree. I have one which is in better condition.

It puzzles me as there was apparently a shortage of metal / iron during that period. For example, I think HMV and Columbia needle boxes were changed from metal to paper for that very reason - and yet IM Pointmaster could still produce metal versions. Also, why couldn't they still make bakelite ones ?

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

A lot of these pass through my hands alongside the BCN thorn needles (I buy them when they're cheap, fettle them and sell them on). I've never discovered the answer to this and can only assume, as has been suggested, that materials for Bakelite were in even shorter supply than steel.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

One chemical component of bakelite is phenol--also a key ingredient in explosives that were needed for the war effort. I imagine for that reason bakelite was either hard to get or expensive or both. Phenol, of course, was also a key ingredient of Edison's condensite for diamond discs. Here's an interesting article on the subject: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/thomas-e ... feilitzsch

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Bakelite was still being use in a variety of commercial products in the first year of the war. I'm sure it took time to get industry switched over to war work. Plastics do have great use in aircraft and communications. Maybe that need force the change to metal before their factory moved into war work?

I found this advertisement in The Gramophone magazine from April 1944.
Screen Shot 2023-05-29 at 9.07.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-05-29 at 9.07.28 PM.png (580.41 KiB) Viewed 416 times
James.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Roaring20s wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:09 am Bakelite was still being use in a variety of commercial products in the first year of the war. I'm sure it took time to get industry switched over to war work. Plastics do have great use in aircraft and communications. Maybe that need force the change to metal before their factory moved into war work?

James.
Somewhat coincidentally, I was visiting the former needle factory building in Redditch this morning!

poodling around
Victor V

Steve wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:13 am
Roaring20s wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:09 am Bakelite was still being use in a variety of commercial products in the first year of the war. I'm sure it took time to get industry switched over to war work. Plastics do have great use in aircraft and communications. Maybe that need force the change to metal before their factory moved into war work?

James.
Somewhat coincidentally, I was visiting the former needle factory building in Redditch this morning!
That sounds intriguing. What is it now, a car park maybe ?

poodling around
Victor V

James.
Very interesting James.

I wonder whether they were allowed to use metal instead of bakelite because they could not use paper to make their product - or anything else. Unlike HMV and columbia needle 'tins'.