Springs - Hook or hole ?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
canyr
Victor Jr

Springs - Hook or hole ?

Post by canyr »

Hello !

I have to change springs in two of my gramophones. Before ordering new springs, I'd like to know: if there is (are in case of the HMV 32 motor) a rivet visible on the outer side of the spring box, do I assume the spring is attached by a hole on the outside of the box (please see attached pic) ?
Attachments
Capture d'écran 2023-06-09 195404.png
Capture d'écran 2023-06-09 195404.png (285.3 KiB) Viewed 473 times

Phono48
Victor IV

Re: Springs - Hook or hole ?

Post by Phono48 »

The springs in the 32 motor are hooked at the outer end, and engage with two brackets on the inside of the barrel, so they are easy to remove and refit. They can only go in one way, but getting the bottom one out can be a bit awkward, so take care!

Barry

canyr
Victor Jr

Post by canyr »

Thanks Barry,
In fact, I've already taken them out and regreased them some years ago. But one has now broken (the bottom one) and I can't remember if they're attached to the barrel by a bracket or a hook (rivet) through a keyhole. And I don't want to take the springs out before ordering (I have no room to do it home and will have to go to a friend's house when I get the new springs) but want to be sure I'll order the right ones.
Same thing for a HMV 102, except I've never dismantled the motor on this one.
But the rivet is there too so I suppose the spring is also attached to the barrel by a keyhole, but I'd like confirmation.

(Please forgive any issues with my expression as english is not my native language.)

mrrgstuff
Victor I

Post by mrrgstuff »

I had to take the springs out of the Type 32 motor in an HMV 162 a few years ago.

I seem to remember there was a rivet on the outside of the barrel which led me to think the springs would have holes.

Actually what I found was the rivet was to hold the hook in place for the hook type spring
Attachments
20200329_220507~2.jpg

canyr
Victor Jr

Post by canyr »

Thanks ! I guess I'll have to take the springs out to check before ordering, then.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

canyr wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:37 pmSame thing for a HMV 102, except I've never dismantled the motor on this one.
But the rivet is there too so I suppose the spring is also attached to the barrel by a keyhole, but I'd like confirmation.
Yes, on the 102 motor. the outer end of the spring is a keyhole. By the way, your English is fine!
Barry

canyr
Victor Jr

Post by canyr »

Thank you very much !

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Look at Mrrgstuff's picture. If you have the hook arrangement, as he has shown, you should easily be able to see the edge of it without removing the spring.

leels1
Victor I

Post by leels1 »

The first pic you posted is a 102 barrel I believe which as others have said is an eye on the outer end.

With the 32 barrel it’s always worth checking the condition of the anchor plate (as in mrrgstuff’s pic) as they can sometimes be split/ cracked, especially at the bottom where it’s harder to see. The immense force it has to hold when wound I assume can make this happen. Any cracks can be welded though.

Also the rivets themselves I’ve found can be loose so may need attention.

May help for what it’s worth!