Record price for a cabinet gramophone?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
leels1
Victor I

Re: Record price for a cabinet gramophone?

Post by leels1 »

Sidewinder wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:46 pm Not sure what the excitement is, the gramophone only sold for like £300.

The rest was for Freddie Mercury's DNA.
Absolutely. I’m not sure everyone has realised it was Freddie Mercury’s. Just they type of item you’d have expected him to have owned!

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

leels1 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:34 am
Sidewinder wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:46 pm Not sure what the excitement is, the gramophone only sold for like £300.

The rest was for Freddie Mercury's DNA.
Absolutely. I’m not sure everyone has realised it was Freddie Mercury’s. Just they type of item you’d have expected him to have owned!
Oh I'm quite positive everyone reading this and hopefully the bidders as well (!) know full well to whom it belonged to. Without Freddie this cabinet would have stalled at £150 on a good day, such is the state of the UK market for gramophones and antiques in general.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Steve wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:58 amOh I'm quite positive everyone reading this and hopefully the bidders as well (!) know full well to whom it belonged to.
Definitely NO. I had not even the most remote idea that this might have belonged to Freddie Mercury, until Sidewinder mentioned him.

In my opinion, the ad was abismally substandard. An amazingly awfully rushed job, made with abslolutely no love and respect and interest for the item, aggravated by the fact that it was handled by an auction house with a big name such as Sotheby's.

Lucky the one who bought it :clover: hopefully she/he will enjoy it as it deserves.