Hmv gramophone identify

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
mrrgstuff
Victor I

Re: Hmv gramophone identify

Post by mrrgstuff »

Steve wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:21 am find a video of this actual machine playing when, as I understand it, it's in a shop somewhere and not online?
I didn't notice it at first, but there is an mp4 file linked in the first post which shows a motor running. I can't tell though whether it's the motor from the machine shown, and there is no indication who filmed it.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

mrrgstuff wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:15 am
Steve wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:21 am find a video of this actual machine playing when, as I understand it, it's in a shop somewhere and not online?
I didn't notice it at first, but there is an mp4 file linked in the first post which shows a motor running. I can't tell though whether it's the motor from the machine shown, and there is no indication who filmed it.
Well spotted! It is without question definitely the right original and correct motor inside the cabinet of the gramophone pictured at the beginning of this thread. The whole Columbia motor business is just complete misleading nonsense, by whom and for what purpose we'll probably never know now.

When all is said and done, it's still no bargain with the horn in that condition and without the Exhibition soundbox.

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

No, I don't think it's an April Fool (anyway, it's only March 29th today), just someone who happened to have a photo of a Columbia (Garrard) motor and posted it accidentally in place of a photo of the HMV motor. The machine looks very original (apart from the Salon sound box, which can easily be replaced), and I wonder if the horn (which is quite genuine, I'm sure) is one of the seldom seen 'Flaxite' ones rather than wood. They're not as handsome as real wood, but they are quite rare, and were originally finished in mahogany or oak graining. I've even seen an ebonised one, appropriately on a Melba.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Yes, could it be that the video is not seen in some browsers?
Inigo

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Screenshot_2024-03-29-17-47-47-80_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
Yes, could it be that the video is not seen in some browsers?
Inigo

fghr111
Victor Jr

Post by fghr111 »

Hello all,

Just to clarify

I have seen the seen the gramophone when I visited the gramophone dealer at his house. The visit was intended for me to buy other stuff and I liked that piece because of the wood horn . A few day later I asked the dealer to send me some pictures of that gramophone and the pictures I have attached are supposed to be from the same gramophone. Also the mp4 is meant to be from the same gramophone. I am not the person who made the pictures, my hometown is 350 km away from the antique dealer house
I have no expertise on gramophones, though I have a wide collection of pick up vinyl disks, and when I bought some vinyl disks I found also old gramophone disks and thats why I wanted to buy also a gramophone.

Bottom line it is no 1st April foul, and as I mentioned above, I am pretty sure that the antique dealer sent me pictures and the video with it playing from the same gramophone. But now i am also pretty sure that the motor was not from a HMv2 gramophone as the dealer told me.

P.s my English is not so good, thank you all for your answers, I havent noticed that new answer were posted, that why I reply so late..

fghr111
Victor Jr

Post by fghr111 »

I have another gramophone bought from flee market. It was an instinct bought as it was was extremely cheap

The issue with this one is that the pin is not staying as it should be on the disk.

Please help me identify this model and als o if you have any suggestions what should I do to fix the problem with the pin/sound box

thank you and regards

P.S

these pictures were taken by me :)
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-20 at 11.49.53.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-20 at 11.49.53 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-20 at 11.49.53 (2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-20 at 11.49.53 (3).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-20 at 11.49.53 (4).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-20 at 11.49.53 (5).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-20 at 11.49.53 (6).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-20 at 11.49.53 (7).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-20 at 11.49.53 (8).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-20 at 11.49.53 (9).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-20 at 11.49.53 (10).jpeg

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

fghr111 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:18 am I have another gramophone bought from flee market. It was an instinct bought as it was was extremely cheap

The issue with this one is that the pin is not staying as it should be on the disk.

Please help me identify this model and als o if you have any suggestions what should I do to fix the problem with the pin/sound box

thank you and regards

P.S

I may have missed it but I can't see a photograph of the brake. (I think I can see the needle holder and speed control only at the front ?).

Is it possible to upload a photo of the brake please I wonder >

Sherazhyder
Victor I
Personal Text: Another Gramophone Enthusiast

Post by Sherazhyder »

fghr111 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:03 am Hello all

I found this gramophone at an antique shop. Lately I developed a passion for old gramophones, so owning an old HMV is nice.

The seller told me that all the pieces are original, I dont know to say, particularly about the motor which has Columbia engraved on it.
Hi! I agree with Steve. The two motor boards in your pictures are not identical. If you look closely you will notice that both have different colours, different type of surfaces and structures. The one with a motor on it does not belong to the gramophone in pictures. I think someone has messed up pictures from two different gramophones. Why don’t you first ask the seller about it ? He might clarify it to you. Who knows the machine might have the correct motor and the seller might be willing to lower his price. If you get a response and correct pictures, then again ask forbthe advice of the experts here. I know for sure Steve is one of the knowledgeable and sympathetic persons here and can give you a more accurate and informed opinion.
Sheraz

Sherazhyder
Victor I
Personal Text: Another Gramophone Enthusiast

Post by Sherazhyder »

fghr111 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:18 am I have another gramophone bought from flee market. It was an instinct bought as it was was extremely cheap

thank you and regards

P.S

Hi ! Here is the image of an advert of this machine from the Strand Magazine volume 72 , 1926.
Sheraz
Attachments
IMG_2513.jpeg
IMG_2512.jpeg