Decca 150

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Decca 150

Post by Steve »

I've just won this Decca 150 at auction (unfortunately the auctioneers have lost the winding handle which was present so the rusty one showing is a spare from my shed!) so thought I'd add a couple of photos for the benefit of anyone who has never seen the model.

What I find curious about this 1932 model is how it precedes the styling of the mid-30s range including the 75, 80, 85 and 90 whilst being concurrent with the earlier style 100, 110, 120 and 130. Presumably the 130 was still the best model portable offered. The 150 has side wings and reflector with a metal motor-board, finished with wood grain effect. The reflector design would be continued in the later models although the side wings were not.

The 130 existed throughout the 1930s but when was the 150 phased out and with a different styling and ID plaque, what market was it aimed at?

The horn is a fully continuous "sealed box" type like the 110 with the single exit terminating at the end of the cabinet. The soundbox is different to both the typical types used in the contemporary and follow-up range.
Attachments
20240413_112125.jpg
20240412_223156.jpg
20240412_223056.jpg

jamiegramo
Victor III

Re: Decca 150

Post by jamiegramo »

Steve, thank you for posting pictures of this Decca 150. I have never seen another. The chrome reflector and side wings are striking.

The winding handle was probably stolen before the auction by another bidder hoping to get the machine cheap. I have fallen victim to this when bidding on a Victor Monarch where the horn elbow mysteriously disappeared during viewing. I won the machine cheap but could not find an elbow (this is before eBay) and ended up selling it on as is. At least a winding handle isn’t such a problem.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

jamiegramo wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:04 am Steve, thank you for posting pictures of this Decca 150. I have never seen another. The chrome reflector and side wings are striking.

The winding handle was probably stolen before the auction by another bidder hoping to get the machine cheap. I have fallen victim to this when bidding on a Victor Monarch where the horn elbow mysteriously disappeared during viewing. I won the machine cheap but could not find an elbow (this is before eBay) and ended up selling it on as is. At least a winding handle isn’t such a problem.
That is exactly what I was thinking but somewhat frustratingly the auctioneers have responded to my email request which stated that the winding handle is missing, by saying they put it inside the case and all I needed to do was open it up to find it! Duh, I never thought of that! :roll: :roll: Needless to say I've responded again quickly showing the narrow horn aperture and confirming that I have looked deep inside the horn, not just the case, and there is no sign of the handle.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Congratulations on winning this Decca portable, Steve. :clover:
You guys for sure have not slowed down your enthusiasm for buying gramophones, or is it maybe the spring hormones that are (again) having its impact on us (myself included).
I have never seen this Decca 150 here, and maybe also never will. At least now I know what it looks like, IF it ever turn up here...
I am sure it will be a great add on to your collection. :)

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

nostalgia wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:29 am Congratulations on winning this Decca portable, Steve. :clover:
You guys for sure have not slowed down your enthusiasm for buying gramophones, or is it maybe the spring hormones that are (again) having its impact on us (myself included).
I have never seen this Decca 150 here, and maybe also never will. At least now I know what it looks like, IF it ever turn up here...
I am sure it will be a great add on to your collection. :)
Many thanks! I've only ever seen 4 examples including this one so yes, it'll enjoy its rightful place with all my other Decca machines.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Congratulations, Steve! The machine looks very nice, with the silver top and wood grain plinth.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

CarlosV wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:34 pm Congratulations, Steve! The machine looks very nice, with the silver top and wood grain plinth.
Thank you, Carlos. It needs a good clean and a new piece of leather for the handle and not unusually, the record album is missing so I'm on the hunt for yet another one! Apart from those bits, it works amazingly well and for a pleasant change, wasn't very expensive.